Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Stabz
Veeam Legend
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Philippe DUPUIS

Dell ML3 Clean Cartridge

Post by Stabz »

Hello Guys,

I just installed a new library Dell ML3.
I don't know why but Veeam see the Clean Cartridge in the Inventory as an "Unrecognized" media.I can't do anything from the Veeam Console.

This is the first time I used this kind of library. Maybe I missed something...

Did someone already configure a ML3. In the configuration I created a logical Library with Auto cleaning.
Thanks
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Dell ML3 Clean Cartridge

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Philippe,

Is it barcoded? Have you performed the tape inventory? Thanks!
fga
Influencer
Liked: 23 times

Post by fga »

We see the same behaviour in our Fujitsu Eternus LT 20 library.
My best recommendation is to just ignore it. Cleaning tapes always show up in the Unrecognized Pool.
It doesn't hurt at all if the Tape is properly labeled. Just make sure the Barcode on the cleaning tape ends with CU.
This makes it also shown as cleaning tape in veeam. (Blue tape symbol with a little brush)
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

fga,
Thanks for the heads up!

Actually, the described behavior is correct - cleaning tape is stored in Unrecognized media pool and is used automatically by the tape jobs when required. Just make sure that automatic cleaning is enabled in the tape library properties. Cheers!
Stabz
Veeam Legend
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Philippe DUPUIS

Post by Stabz »

Hello,

Yes the tapes are barcoded, the inventory has been done.

@fga, thanks for you feedback, hm that was I thought, but it's a bit weird, my Clean tape is correctly inventoried (CLNU...) with the logo, so the tape will not be used.. I hope!

Dima, for you it s a normal comportement ? I don't have this with a Quantum library.
The automatic cleaning is managed by the library directly.

thanks
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Stabz,

We do not have a dedicated media pool for cleaning tapes; such media is located under Unrecognized to make sure that backup jobs wont touch it during the backup process, so your setup looks good. Cheers!
TaylorB
Enthusiast
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Taylor B.

Post by TaylorB »

Veeam doesn't perform any cleaning functions, so it just puts the cleaning tapes in that bucket because they can't be used for data.

You'll want to configure your tape library to automatically clean. All the libraries I have used will automatically clean drives as needed if you enable the feature and load barcoded cleaning tapes (Starting with CLN)
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Veeam doesn't perform any cleaning functions, so it just puts the cleaning tapes in that bucket because they can't be used for data.
That's right, but one small correction: Veeam B&R can actually perform the cleaning on it's own whenever it's required. You just need to enable automated cleaning option in tape library properties via Veeam B&R console. Keep in mind that you should use either automatic cleaning configured via library software or automated cleaning via Veeam B&R but not both.