dell PV-124t

Everything about backing up to tape

dell PV-124t

Veeam Logoby michal_k » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:02 pm

hello,

has anyone had any luck using this drive? (lto4-120-0). No matter what driver combination I use, it doesn't look like compression is working. its writing only around 700gb per tape.
michal_k
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: michal K

Re: dell PV-124t

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:27 pm

Hello Michal,
Welcome to the Veeam forums!

I wonder what you are using as a backup source: files in File to tape job or backups in Backup to tape job. In case you are writing backups to tape previously created by VBR, please, check you backup to disk job compression level, even with the default compression level set up in an original backup to disk job the hardware compression would give you zero compression ratio due the fact that backup was already compressed on the software level. Thank you.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 440 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby michal_k » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:47 pm

well, I am set up vm to disk (storage compression level dedupe-friendly) and from there to tape for full backups.
michal_k
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: michal K

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:06 pm

Yes, that’s why your library compression does give you 1 to 1 compression. You can use either compression inside backup to disk or have hardware compression enabled in the backup to tape job.

If you want – you can run a test backup job with disabled software compression and then use backup to tape with enabled hardware compression, just to understand what suites you needs.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 440 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Return to Tape