Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
kapple
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Ken Applebaum

Does removing a tape server delete the tape catalog?

Post by kapple »

Hi,

We have set up a new Veeam architecture that will replace our current set of servers (moving from virtual to physical B&R and proxy servers, new storage and no SOBR on new setup). I realize I can not use the same tape server for 2 Veeam B&R instances. I need to remove the tape server from our current Veeam console, and add it to the new Veeam server.

I realize I will need to catalog existing backup tapes on the new server once I do this, which can take a bit of time, and which will be done when other jobs are not running. My concern is what to do if I need to perform a restore from tape for a backup on the older Veeam infrastructure. Once the tape server is removed, will the Library which lists the tapes, and the tape contents be removed from the B&R console? If a restore of older data is needed, it would be good to locate the tape the job would be on by firing up the old console to locate the needed tape, and then import and catalog the needed tape(s) on the new server.

Additionally, is there a way to run a report that lists which tapes belong to which media pool, media set and the date the backup job ran?

Thanks,
Ken
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Does removing a tape server delete the tape catalog?

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Ken.
I realize I will need to catalog existing backup tapes
Did I get it right - you are replacing only tape server and not Veeam B&R server (which stores tape catalog). If that's true you can leave the tape media inside media pool, disconnect tape library, install new tape server, connect your library to new tape sever and then add library to existing media pool. With such approach catalog remains untouched and you do not have to re catalog all the tapes.
kapple
Enthusiast

Post by kapple »

Hi Dima, and thanks for the reply.
No, what I am doing is replacing the Veeam server. I want to keep the old Veeam B&R infrastructure in place, but shut down the servers for now. I want to remove the tape server from our current Veeam environment. I built new Veeam B&R, repo and proxy servers. I want to add the tape server to the new B&R environment.

The reason I want to assure I have access to the tape catalog is that there are tapes that have a retention period of up to a year. In case I need to do a restore, I want to fire up the old Veeam server, and find the tape needed to do the restore. Once I have the proper tape(s), I would import and catalog it (them) in the new Veeam B&R server, and perform the restore. I am hoping that the catalog, viewed through Tape Infrastructure > Libraries > Media > Offline, will still be available in order to browse contents of tapes.

Alternately, if there is a way to print out tape information (bar code, expiration date, media pool, media set, contents of tape), that would meet our needs as well. Does this make sense?

Thanks,
Ken
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Ken,
Thanks for the details.
to assure I have access to the tape catalog is that there are tapes that have a retention period of up to a year.
Is such case, yes, you can keep the old backup server. You would need to load old Veeam B&R, find the desired backup files and associated tape media, load the media to your library and perform tape catalog operation. Once done you can restore backup files from old tape via new Veeam B&R server.
if there is a way to print out tape information (bar code, expiration date, media pool, media set, contents of tape), that would meet our needs as well
Also a good idea. You can print our reports generated by VeeamOne, for example Tape Backups together Tape Media Retention Period to keep the tack of your data and tape media expiration.
kapple
Enthusiast

Post by kapple »

Dima,

Thank you for the information. I was trying to get a trial license for VeeamOne, but Veeam's web site was having issues (403 forbidden when going through the process to contact Veeam via the interface for obtaining a trial license). Will try again. Printing out would be a much better option than keeping the old server around for a year. Short of that, it is good to know I can remove the tape server now, and not worry about the tape catalog.