Duplicate job to tape - not same amount of processed data

Everything about backing up to tape

Re: Duplicate job to tape - not same amount of processed dat

Veeam Logoby Dave338 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:31 am

Good morning.

After making some tests with support team, update drivers and firmware, etc, it seemed my job was working well, and amount of tape usage was corresponding to backup usage on disk. I deleted and recreated my weekly backup to delete any previous weird data from older updates or something...

Well, the first iteration worked well, but one week later, on the second iteration, my job processed 1,6TB of data and occuped 2TB on tape again. My job is only copying the last full backup always (reverse incremental backups and no incremental processing on the tape job), so is not an incremental or synthetic issue.

I'll try this week to delete manually the tapes before the tape job starts, to see if it makes any difference, but it is an annoying problem.
I've also set up the block size to 256k manually (default for my tapes is 128k).

Regards.
Dave338
Enthusiast

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: David

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:28 am

It might stand to reason to reach device manufacturer as well, just to get issue (with file occupying 125% more space on tapes) covered from different angles. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby Dave338 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:56 am

But my library is working perfectly with backup exec. It compresses and amount of data written is correct.

NOw it's running a monthly backup and it is doing it worse than ever, occuping two entire tapes for a bit more than 1,6TB, and has left 480GB free on the first tape :shock: :shock:

REgards.
Dave338
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:31 am

As it's been mentioned, information regarding free/occupied space is taken directly from device. Thus, my recommendations regarding contacting device manufacturer. Also, it's worth double checking whether the experienced behaviour wasn't a result of firmware or drivers update.

Anyway, did you keep working with the support team? What was their final answer?

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby Dave338 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:04 am 2 people like this post

We are in talk...

He detected some errors (veeam related) about tape size not detected properly and applied a hotfix on my system. We will wait until next monthly to see if errors persist or the situation improves.

Regards.
DAvid.
Dave338
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:24 pm

Hello and Happy New Year David!

Thanks for the heads up - do not forget to post the testing results.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 440 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Previous

Return to Tape