Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
staun
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Jørgen Staun

Eject weekly full backup

Post by staun »

In these times where you need to proctect your backup I want to have a full backup every weekend on tape and eject this tape to our vault, so it will be completely offline in case we get hit by ransomware or any other type of attack.

But I am not really sure how to do this.

Currently I have a TapeJob that is based on a normal backup-job. This TapeJob uses a GFS pool with these settings:
Daily : 90
Weekly : 1
Monthly : 12
Quarterly : 3
Yearly : 5

How can configure this so a weekly full backup can be ejected on mondays and put a way for lets say one month?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Eject weekly full backup

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
are you maybe looking for the "eject media upon job completion" and "export current media set upon job completition" checkbox?

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... l?ver=95u4
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... l?ver=95u4

Best regards,
Hannes
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

In a GFS Media Pool settings under "Advanced" you can assign specific cartridges for Monthly Full backups with identical options from Hannes's post.
/Cheers
staun
Enthusiast

Post by staun »

I have been looking at these settings, but not really sure if this exports my full backup. Currently I have this

For my TapeJob

For my GFS Pool

If we and hopefully not loose all our data (backup server, backupCopy as well), will I then be able to restore everything from this weekly tape and only loose a weeks work in worst case?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

staun,

Based on this settings weekly and yearly tapes will become exported automatically at the end of backup job. Once exported they should be displayed in the specified Vault in the UI.

Export operation moves tape media to the set I/O slots of your tape device, as a result tape will become inaccessible for other tape operations unless you import such tape back. Data remains on tape and can be restored whenever it's required. Cheers!
staun
Enthusiast

Post by staun »

Ok, thank you for all your help. I will try to check after a weeks backup and restore the entire tape into our test-enviroment.