Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
DaHe
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Daniel Heggli

Endpoint Backups in Copy to Tape Jobs not copied to tape

Post by DaHe »

We encountered problems with Copy to Tape Jobs including VM Backup Jobs and Endpoint Backup Jobs. The Copy to Tape Job stated each session inside the Copy to Tape Job with "Success", but in fact there was nothing of the Endpoint Backups copied to tape. I realized, that this could not be correct, since I expected to have more tapes to be used and taken offside for this Copy to Tape Job. Further analyses showed, that there was nothing of the Endpoint Backups copied to tape, with the following entry in the Session Log of the physical host: Source backup files detected. VBK: 0, VBK map: 0, VIB: 0. Veeam support could'nt tell me why there was never created a Systhetic Full and there was never copied anything of those Endpoint Backups to tape. In my opinion, in this situation, with no copy on tape, there should be a "Warning" state instead of "Success".

The only thing, which got my copy job to work was, to include also the Incremental Backups inside the Copy to Tape Job. This is not what we want, since we have many VM Backup Jobs (with Reverse Incremental Backups) included in the same Copy to Tape Job and want this Copy to Tape Job only to include the last Full Backups. After this first real succesfull Copy to Tape Job, I do not have to include the Incremental Backups anymore and the Copy to Tape Job still includes the Endpoint Backups.

An important side note: This article is very important to understand the Virtual Full Intervalls:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/vsp ... rvals.html
The imotant part inside this article is, that there should at least be a source side Endpoint Backup before the next Copy to Tape job starts AND it has to be created not on the same day as the last Copy to Tape Job was running (after midnight, after the last Copy to Tape Job was running).

Nevertheless, I would like to have a "Warning" if there was nothing copied to tape, which will trigger further analysies.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Endpoint Backups in Copy to Tape Jobs not copied to tape

Post by veremin »

The only thing, which got my copy job to work was, to include also the Incremental Backups inside the Copy to Tape Job. This is not what we want, since we have many VM Backup Jobs (with Reverse Incremental Backups) included in the same Copy to Tape Job and want this Copy to Tape Job only to include the last Full Backups. After this first real succesfull Copy to Tape Job, I do not have to include the Incremental Backups anymore and the Copy to Tape Job still includes the Endpoint Backups.
What product version are you using, because the described situation does not look like an expected behaviour. I'm wondering about product build as previously there have been issues similar to the reported one. Thanks.
DaHe
Service Provider

Post by DaHe »

I started with version 9 update 1 and installed update 2 during the Veeam support case.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Looks strange, indeed, as similar issues should have been fixed in Update 1.

Also, even with process increments option enabled .vrbs (reversed increments) will be skipped from processing. So, you should not worry about that.

Thanks.
DaHe
Service Provider

Post by DaHe »

The whole thing is covered in Case # 01968246
Nevertheless, I would like to have a "Warning" if there was nothing copied to tape, which will trigger us for further analysies. Otherwise this could be overseen very easy.

Okay, thanks for your input regarding the reverse increments being skipped in my configuration.

Regards