Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
yan972
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Yan Benoist

Erase tape with B&R Standard Edition

Post by yan972 »

Hi all,

I'm using B&R Std Ed on a Win2008R2 native server which has an IBM LTO.
I do local VMware VMs backups on this server and copy then afterwards on the LTO tapes. (Not the best solution, sure, would be better to use Entreprise Edition..).
Well, it works. BUT, i didn't find the way to erase the tape before the B&R job copies the data to the tape.
With Entrprise Edition, it seems to be possible (thru scripts !; would it be so difficult just to allow to click an option such as "Erase tape before running job" ?).
Anyway, with Std Edition, no scripts available. So, is there a way to do the tape erase or should i look for another software ?

TIA if you have some advice,

Yan
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Erase tape with B&R Standard Edition

Post by veremin »

If you want to constantly overwrite already written tapes, why not to specify "Do not protect data" option in retention settings, then?

Also, I don't quite get your statement regarding scripts' availability. Both Standard and Enterprise editions have file to tape type of job that in its turn has pre and post job activities using which you can run whatever commands you want to, including tape erasing.

Thanks.
yan972
Novice

Post by yan972 »

Hi,

Thanks for your post.
Sure, i would like to specify "Do not protect data" but where should i find this retention information in my backup job ? It's a "File to Tape" job and i could'nt find anything like that.
And, yes, i can indicate a pre/post job activity but how should i a do an "erase tape" ?
The job triggers a .bat or .cmd script but as i use the Veeam Std Edition, i cannot use many Get-xxx commands. Even the Get-VBRTapeServer command needs the Entreprise edition.

Yan
yan972
Novice

Post by yan972 »

Hi Vladimir,

Had another better look on the configuration: yes, the "Do not protect data" checkbox is checked for the Media pool in use.
So, i shouldn't have to erase the tapes, but in fact, they become full after a few weeks.
Any idea ?

Yan
alanbolte
Veteran
Liked: 174 times
Full Name: Alan Bolte

Post by alanbolte »

What is your media pool setting for creating media sets? Tapes from the current set are not automatically overwritten.

Also, I don't know why Get-VBRTapeServer would require Enterprise edition; I know we've had a few bugs with powershell cmdlets for tape but I'm pretty sure everything involving wrong-edition errors was resolved in the first patch. Are you running the latest update (8.0.0.2030)?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

Any idea ?
Isn't "do not create, always continue current" option selected in "Media Set" setting of a given media pool by any chance?
The job triggers a .bat or .cmd script but as i use the Veeam Std Edition, i cannot use many Get-xxx commands. Even the Get-VBRTapeServer command needs the Entreprise edition.
You seem to be using unpatched v8, kindly, update to the latest product version. The said issue has been fixed in first patch.

Thanks.
yan972
Novice

Post by yan972 »

Alan, Vladimir,

You were both right: the last update solved the shell pb. I could use an Erase-VBRTapeMedium on my tape. Good thing that even with the Std Ed so i can play around with scripts.
Thanks for your help,

Yan
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

But what about tape not being overwritten automatically, can you comment on media set creation settings specified on a given media pool? Thanks.