Erase tape with B&R Standard Edition

Everything about backing up to tape

Erase tape with B&R Standard Edition

Veeam Logoby yan972 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:24 pm

Hi all,

I'm using B&R Std Ed on a Win2008R2 native server which has an IBM LTO.
I do local VMware VMs backups on this server and copy then afterwards on the LTO tapes. (Not the best solution, sure, would be better to use Entreprise Edition..).
Well, it works. BUT, i didn't find the way to erase the tape before the B&R job copies the data to the tape.
With Entrprise Edition, it seems to be possible (thru scripts !; would it be so difficult just to allow to click an option such as "Erase tape before running job" ?).
Anyway, with Std Edition, no scripts available. So, is there a way to do the tape erase or should i look for another software ?

TIA if you have some advice,

Yan
yan972
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Yan Benoist

Re: Erase tape with B&R Standard Edition

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:23 am

If you want to constantly overwrite already written tapes, why not to specify "Do not protect data" option in retention settings, then?

Also, I don't quite get your statement regarding scripts' availability. Both Standard and Enterprise editions have file to tape type of job that in its turn has pre and post job activities using which you can run whatever commands you want to, including tape erasing.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby yan972 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:58 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your post.
Sure, i would like to specify "Do not protect data" but where should i find this retention information in my backup job ? It's a "File to Tape" job and i could'nt find anything like that.
And, yes, i can indicate a pre/post job activity but how should i a do an "erase tape" ?
The job triggers a .bat or .cmd script but as i use the Veeam Std Edition, i cannot use many Get-xxx commands. Even the Get-VBRTapeServer command needs the Entreprise edition.

Yan
yan972
Novice

Veeam Logoby yan972 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:36 am

Hi Vladimir,

Had another better look on the configuration: yes, the "Do not protect data" checkbox is checked for the Media pool in use.
So, i shouldn't have to erase the tapes, but in fact, they become full after a few weeks.
Any idea ?

Yan
yan972
Novice

Veeam Logoby alanbolte » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:19 am

What is your media pool setting for creating media sets? Tapes from the current set are not automatically overwritten.

Also, I don't know why Get-VBRTapeServer would require Enterprise edition; I know we've had a few bugs with powershell cmdlets for tape but I'm pretty sure everything involving wrong-edition errors was resolved in the first patch. Are you running the latest update (8.0.0.2030)?
alanbolte
Expert

Liked: 170 times
Full Name: Alan Bolte

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:46 pm 1 person likes this post

Any idea ?

Isn't "do not create, always continue current" option selected in "Media Set" setting of a given media pool by any chance?

The job triggers a .bat or .cmd script but as i use the Veeam Std Edition, i cannot use many Get-xxx commands. Even the Get-VBRTapeServer command needs the Entreprise edition.

You seem to be using unpatched v8, kindly, update to the latest product version. The said issue has been fixed in first patch.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby yan972 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:15 pm

Alan, Vladimir,

You were both right: the last update solved the shell pb. I could use an Erase-VBRTapeMedium on my tape. Good thing that even with the Std Ed so i can play around with scripts.
Thanks for your help,

Yan
yan972
Novice

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:33 am

But what about tape not being overwritten automatically, can you comment on media set creation settings specified on a given media pool? Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Return to Tape