Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
WinstonWolf
Veteran
Liked: 11 times

Re: Error: setMediaParameters error: Tape error: '87'

Post by WinstonWolf »

Another Tipp : When u become Errors like Cannot set block size: 1048576setMediaParameters error: Tape error: '87' (Wrong Parameter) or somthing like this ,
Try first to Inventory or Catalog this "Problem"Tape and then try again to erase this Tape .

Let me now if it helps .

Thanks
rreed
Veteran
Liked: 72 times

Post by rreed »

This seems pretty indicative of the bug described to me; sometimes it may not know what to do when it encounters a tape written in a different block size than is currently set on the drive. I've run out of tapes, but about to head down to put some more in, I should be able to report back in the next day or two if the hot-fix fixes mine.
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
Dell TL2000 via PE430 (SAS)
Hauke
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Hauke Ihnen

Post by Hauke »

Hello,

had the same issue with blocksize and was able to resolve it. Maybe it helps you:

The issue was that the HPE installation package for the tape library / LTO drives (cp032931) is also installing the driver for the SAS controller (HP P411 in my case).
But: this is a special "media driver" (you can see it in the device manager), looks like it's limited to 64k blocksize.
I installed the real P411 driver afterwards (cp028045), which replaced the media driver, and after a reboot Veeam was able to use the tapes again (512k).
dsmetskoy
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Daniil Smetskoy

Post by dsmetskoy »

Thanks Haukie!
You saved us a lot of trouble. This issue is still valid for Windows server 2016 and HPE Smart Array P212.
We could not set the block size above 64K with official HP drivers like here: https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public ... f8f44#tab1
And the P212 driver was showing (Media Driver) in device manager.
But as soon as we installed the cp028045 driver you mentioned we could use a bigger blocksize!
It seems to be an issue for the whole range of HP HBAs, P212, P410, P410i, P411, P711m, P712m, P812...
Thanks again for your post!