Failed to Unload Tape..

Everything about backing up to tape

Re: Failed to Unload Tape..

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:00 am

Hello David,
This issue would be fixed in the upcoming patch 3, so stay tuned.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 440 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:12 am

Hello,
The slot issue was resolved in newly released patch 3, so if anyone still has this issue – please, make sure you install last available update. You can download it here.
The feedback is highly appreciated. Thank you.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Kirkus_AU » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:28 am

Hi guys

I've installe Patch 3 and still getting this problem. Logging a support ticket now. Stay tuned!

Cheers
Kirk
Kirkus_AU
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Kirk Rogers

Veeam Logoby janjaaps » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:20 am

We also have this issue, we are running patch #4, i think veeam should find another empty slot on its own and the job should continue, without error or warning (or make this a selectable option for customers).
Manual intervention of the library shouldn't break running or new backups. We've never had this with other solutions (like netvault).

Also.... the job shows "Warning" as last result, while nothing is put to tape, i think the job should report "Failed" in this occasion.

PS. Veeam support on proxies would be nice, but i guess that's coming in v8? :)
janjaaps
Lurker

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jan Jaap van Santen

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:35 am

Hello Jan,

janjaaps wrote:Also.... the job shows "Warning" as last result, while nothing is put to tape, i think the job should report "Failed" in this occasion.

Makes sense to me as well.

janjaaps wrote:PS. Veeam support on proxies would be nice, but i guess that's coming in v8? :)

Yes, the goal is to address it in the upcoming major version. Thank you!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1102 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:25 pm

Looks like patch 4 has introduced the issue back. With patch 3, Veeam B&R should select the free slot instead of failing the job. I would appreciate if you get to support with this so they could verify this is the similar issue and probably come up with a private hotfix.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1079 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby stooby » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:54 am

This is also affecting us, p4 / v7.0.0.871 - I would hope we should not have to wait until the next major version for such a simple problem.
stooby
Lurker

Full Name: Stu

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:53 am

Please contact technical support directly. As it is stated above, they might have a private fix for this issue.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1079 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby janjaaps » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:07 am 1 person likes this post

Seems like there is no (private) patch for this. I contacted support and they are letting me wait till v8
But we sort of worked around this. The problem still persists but we are able to get everything to tape without manual intervention. Far from ideal but better than nothing i suppose.

when tape jobs are still running during the manual daily tape change, there are tapes loaded in the drives.
If so, running and new tape jobs, in need for a tape, most likely will fail because they can't unload the tape to its original slot because it's probably filled (due to the manual tape change).

Manual intervention is needed in this scenario for veeam to continue. The tape needs to be moved to a free slot using the tape robots management interface (cli/gui/whatever) before veeam can continu on a new tape job.
If not, all new and already running jobs fail...
(sometimes even showing warning when nothing has been put to tape, this seems to happen when full pass succeeds because no vbk's and incr pass fails due to "failed to unload tape" or vice versa).

We sort of worked around this issue by unloading all driveloaded tapes in the night before the tape jobs start.
We wrote a little batch file using a cli command from the tape vendor to do this.
This ensures that when the tape jobs start there are no tapes loaded in drives and veeam has full control over de robot and can always unload.
And hope that all tape jobs are done before morning/daile tape change :)
We just started doing this earlier this week, so we are still cathing up on older backups needing to be put to tape, but almost there.
We do get some errors now and then:
1. "error Terminted" probably due to tape unload outside of veeam (happens when tape job still running when we do the scripted tapedrive unload)
2. "storage {0} is locked by another session" when tape jobs is still running or wanting to start and the main veeam backup jobs start (i think only happens on transformation)
But at least everything is put to tape in the end, only sometimes a nigth to late...
janjaaps
Lurker

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jan Jaap van Santen

Veeam Logoby AaronD » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:06 pm

We are experiencing this issue as well. When tapes are manually inventoried or cataloged, the last tape to be processed is not ejected from the tape drive.

Support says this is by design: "The reason why the Tape is left in the drive is in most cases after an inventory People will either restore or write to the tape so the software leaves it in place to reduce wear on the Arm."

However, this causes our backup to tape jobs to fail in the following scenario:

1. SS0001 is in Slot 1
2. SS0001 gets loaded into Drive 0 for cataloging and is not ejected from Drive 0 once cataloging is finished.
3. Technician loads new tapes into library which get autoloaded into the following slots
- SS0002 into Slot 1
- SS0003 into Slot 2
4. Backup to Tape Job #1 runs and tries to load SS0003 into Drive 0
5. Veeam realizes there is already SS0001 in Drive 0 and so tries to return it to its original Slot 1, however SS0002 is already in Slot 1
6. Veeam Backup to Tape Job #1 fails

This is causing issues in our production environment. Either Veeam should have the versatility to be able to move tape SS0001 to another slot (since its original slot is now filled), or Veeam should start ejecting the last processed tape when a technician manually performs a tape catalog/inventory (or at least provide us a GUI option to enable this functionality). Something to lessen the chance of our tape backups failing.

My Case ID for this issue is #00645503
AaronD
Novice

Liked: 2 times

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:35 am

Hello,

We confirmed these issues with the QA team. The problem is that some medium changers in some tape libraries can’t return tape media to the ‘random’ slot if the original slot was taken on the hardware level and they do not recognize standard windows tape API, which could resolve such situation. We already found the solution, but it requires additional testing. I will update this thread as soon as it will be available. Thank you.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby NewBackup » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:32 pm

Hello,

we have the same problem with a Fujitsu LT40 library and V8.
Is there a solution at this time?
NewBackup
Lurker

Full Name: Daniel Weidemann

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:24 pm

Hello Daniel,

Please, check the solution provided in this KB article and let us know the results. Thank you.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Previous

Return to Tape