Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Didi7
Veteran
Liked: 61 times

Fatal problem with B2T and F2T Jobs in VBR

Post by Didi7 »

Hello,

creating B2T or F2T tape jobs in VBR has no option to stop the tape Job in a given time, e.g. when no tape is inserted (using single drives, no library). Let's assume a single tape drive is used and somebody forgot to insert a new tape cartridge. Should a B2T tape job start right after a B2D disk job and a tape is not inserted into the single tape drive, the tape jobs never ends.

There is no backup window selectable at which point the tape job automatically cancels or ends.

It is absolutely fatal, that a Backup Window is missing in tape jobs. As probably somebody might insert a new cartridge at day time and the running tape job might interfer with the B2D disk job.

What kind of solution do you propose in this case?

Best regards,
Didi7
Using the most recent Veeam B&R in many different environments now and counting!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1575 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Fatal problem with B2T and F2T Jobs in VBR

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Didi7,
running tape job might interfer with the B2D disk job
It can't - whenever primary backup job starts, it basically kills all secondary jobs. Due to this behavior, we have a special option in the tape job -prevent this job from being interrupted by primary backup jobs. File to tape job operates on a file level, so if a file is locked it is not able to process it.
Didi7
Veteran
Liked: 61 times

Re: Fatal problem with B2T and F2T Jobs in VBR

Post by Didi7 »

Yes, I already realized this option, but that's not the solution I was looking for, but I found this thread ...

tape-f29/feature-request-tape-job-timeout-t47178.html

... which helped a little, though the solution is an imposition, if you ask me!

Regards,
Didi7
Using the most recent Veeam B&R in many different environments now and counting!