Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Luca82
Expert
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: lo

FC Tape on iSCSI environment

Post by Luca82 »

Hi everyone,
I'm in the process of setting up an infrastructure that involves an iSCSI storage for production and StoreOnce as a repository (also iSCSI). Additionally, I have the requirement to integrate a Tape (MSL 2024), but it only supports FC.
My solution involves using a Veeam physical server, which serves as both the Veeam Server and Veeam Tape Server. This physical server is connected to the VMware environment using a 10/25Gb network and to the tape using Direct Attach SAN (without switches).
I would appreciate your input on whether you think this configuration is correct or if there's anything else I should consider.
Thank you.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: FC Tape on iSCSI environment

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hello Luca

Correct.
For a FC tape library, a physical tape server is required. Using the same machine for the tape server as your backup server is fully supported.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Luca82
Expert

Post by Luca82 »

Ok, does the Tape Server need to have local storage? I mean, Tape Server collects data from storeonce?
Luca82
Expert

Post by Luca82 »

I add: is there a sizer for a Tape Server?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hi Luca

There is no caching involved. But we require 10GB temporary storage for backup and restore operations.
We don't have a sizer for the tape server. But you use our user guide to calculate the amount of CPU and Memory your tape server requires: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ape-server

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software