Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
pwem
Lurker
Liked: never

Feature: Incremental Tape Backup without weekly Fulls

Post by pwem »

Hello,

is it possible to add the support for writing daily backups (incrmental backups) to tape without creating weekly fulls with GFS Media Pool?
In my situation writing fullbackup to tape once a month is enough. I already have Weekly Fulls on Disk. I do not need weekly Fulls on Tape. This way I can save some backup time and still have daily backups on tape (e.g. in case of encryption virus or deleted/defective backup storages). I also have other Tape Jobs (FullBackup) running once a month on weekend. I am splitting these jobs to different weeks because running all jobs at same weekend would exceed time window. Else I would need additional tape drives.

Actually I am doing it with normal media pools. But it is a bit complicated to do Daily IB Backups and Fullbackups with GFS Retention.
I have 3 Jobs and 4 Media Pools with different retention:
1x Media Pool Monthly FB
1x Media Pool Quarterly FB
1x Media Pool Yearly FB
1x Media Pool Daily IB

1x Backup to Tape Monthly Job (daily run for incremental backup)
1x Backup to Tape Quarterly Job (daily run for incremental backup)
1x Backup to Tape Yearly Job (daily run for incremental backup)

I enable and disable these jobs with windows tasks to follow the GFS scheme.
If there will be no support for daily backups without doing weekly fulls with GFS Jobs / Media Pools then it would be great if you add the support for creating media sets monthly (normal media pools).
I am using per VM Backup Files. If there is a new VM added to primary backup job it would try to write the VBK to FB Media Pool at next run.
This way I need to use the option "Do not create, always continue using current media set".
I want to write every month fullbackups to Tape in a new media set / new tape.
There is no problem in case of a quarterly or yearly backup because it will be disabled when the month ends and I have enough time to unload tapes.
Monthly Backups are written to tape at february, march, may, june and so on.
So if february ends the job will not be disabled and it would write its fullbackup to existing media set.
To prevent this I would need to unload tapes / protect them when the last backup of month was written to tape.
I also could create a 4th Job and a 5th Media Pool for Monthly FB.
But the easier way is to add the support for "creating media set monthly" on normal media pool.

Thanks.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Feature: Incremental Tape Backup without weekly Fulls

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

Take your request as counted 👍

But to be honest, it's complicated... you can see the reason in https://www.veeam.com/kb1799 when you look at reverse incremental or forward incremental forever backup method animation. Your request requires to synthesize the incremental data instead of "just copy" the file.

Best regards,
Hannes