Feature request - Active fulls and Synthetic full to tape

Everything about backing up to tape

Feature request - Active fulls and Synthetic full to tape

Veeam Logoby JaySt » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:22 pm

I had a case open with support regarding not being able to do daily (synthetic / virtual)full to tape.
As it seems, this cannot work when you have periodic active fulls or synthetic fulls scheduled on your primary backup job. The primary backup job has to be forever forward incremental.
When active/synth full is scheduled and the tape job runs and is configured to only create full backups on tape, it will not copy any restore point to tape other than full (.vbks) created by the primary job.

I'd like to use active full (weekly) together with the ability to do only (virtual) fulls to tape as well. i don't like the idea of being forced to forever forward incremental (with possible merge performance issues) just because i only want full backups on tape.
Veeam Certified Engineer
JaySt
Service Provider

Liked: 15 times
Full Name: JaySt

Re: Feature request - Active fulls and Synthetic full to tap

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:47 pm

Currently, that is by design behaviour. Additional alternative might be reversed incremental mode where the latest restore point is always a full backup which will be archived to tapes on daily basis. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1027 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby JaySt » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:04 pm

i could have a look at that, being weekly active full and reverse daily incremental.
Veeam Certified Engineer
JaySt
Service Provider

Liked: 15 times
Full Name: JaySt

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:13 pm

Good. By the way, active full schedule can be even less strict. Say, once a month or so would be OK. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1027 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Return to Tape