Feature request: Mediaset content report

Everything about backing up to tape

Feature request: Mediaset content report

Veeam Logoby fja » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:42 pm

We are using GFS tape setup for monthly / yearly of-media archiving. This is part of our IT Security policies and disaster / recovery procedures. To ensure full 'of-line' documentation we need to be able to get a report on files / server stored on media set. Best would be if this could be scheduled / linked somehow.

Could you please provide a option to generate or send detailed report of content on mediaset?

To put in context: we have a system supporting us in generating disaster-recovery handbooks. This setup includes documents on systems, relations and dependencies as well as recovery procedures.
We need to add media reports allowing os to select proper medias for prioritised recovery - including list of latest backup of Veeam configuration and content library.
fja
Influencer

Liked: 1 time

Re: Feature request: Mediaset content report

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:39 pm

Hello,
There are several Veeam Backup Tape reports including Tape Backups report in Veeam ONE.
Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Liked: 396 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Veeam Logoby fja » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:45 am

Hi Shestakov,
thx very much for quick answer. My knowledge on Veeam ONE is rather limited as during my testing I have found it a bit confusing...
I checked the links, and there are lots of report, only these are on hig level and on logging of the tape procedures and stuff- I'm not able to find anything on the mediset content

To clarify - the 'content' here is a complete list of included Veeam backup FILES and specifying the (virtual) servers stored in each file - and - information on backup date, status, expiry and so on.

Key point is during a disaster recovery to be able to pinpoint the exact tape(s) to restore a specific server - in accordance with our prioritised recovery list... AND based on the asumption that Veeam itself was clean installed on new servers.
fja
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:52 am

fja wrote:To clarify - the 'content' here is a complete list of included Veeam backup FILES and specifying the (virtual) servers stored in each file - and - information on backup date, status, expiry and so on.
Key point is during a disaster recovery to be able to pinpoint the exact tape(s) to restore a specific server

That`s exactly what above-mentioned Tape Backups report is designed for. Note that it contains a drill-down for each backup file with the list of VMs and tapes needed for the restore.
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby fja » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:36 pm

....ahhhh! misunderstanding here.

You can not do drill-down in printed report! The DR plan must NOT require systems (like Veeam ONE) to be on-line...

I need a report in a pdf or exported data to xls to be able to have all needed information on decentral setup (IT's laptops as example..)
fja
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:50 pm

Yeah, that`s an issue. But if you build a report with thousands backups, meaning drill-down reports, it may result in a huge number of pages.
We are planning to resolve it in future versions though.
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby dpatel » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:07 pm 1 person likes this post

Hi,

I am not sure about GFS media pool. But, for normal media pool if you move media to a Vault, then you can extract content list from Veeam ONE.

Report Name: TAPE VAULTS OVERVIEW
dpatel
Influencer

Liked: 2 times

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:39 pm

dpatel,
You are right. And if you need information from several reports you can use Report Builder to combine it.
Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Return to Tape