Feature request: parallel tape jobs to same media pool

Everything about backing up to tape

[MERGED] Tape backup - multiples/ parallel streams supporte

Veeam Logoby guckux » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:42 am

Does Veeam support multiples/parallel streams from different backup jobs (mixed: full and incremental and copy2tape) to one tape?
guckux
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Stefan Huerter

Re: Feature request: parallel tape jobs to same media pool

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:28 am

Hello Stefan,
Parallel processing between multiple tape drives becomes available in upcoming v9 release along with other great tape features. Please take a look.
Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Liked: 393 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Veeam Logoby guckux » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:00 pm

Hello Shestakov

that was not the question - I regognized in this discussion, that there want to be the feature, to have one backup-job to multiple tapes.
Due to my lack of knowledge of Veeam (I am in an evaluationg process, combining with data domain, comparing with EMC networker) I am learning and asking for "Features, which are standards in networker". But also, there is a entirely different concept in these products.

For me, it is important, what is NOW supported, and not, what is announced or so... these are no facts, which are responsible...

So, it should be better, to ask once more with more words:
Is it possible to save more than one VM to ONE media-pool - we have a few vCenter in production...

And - is it possible to save with one Tape-Server more than one vCenter?

So far - I understand, that ONE backup job "exclusivly" use ONE media-pool - also ONE tape...?!
guckux
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Stefan Huerter

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:02 pm

Stefan,
Thanks for the clarification.
guckux wrote:So far - I understand, that ONE backup job "exclusivly" use ONE media-pool - also ONE tape...?!

That is not correct. You can add as much tapes as you want to a media pool as well as just make it add tapes from Free Pool automatically when needed.
You can also set several jobs to use same media pool. All this applies to the current version and works fine.

And as I said, starting from the upcoming version parallel processing between tape drives will be available.
Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Liked: 393 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Veeam Logoby sentenza » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:54 am

Up...

I just want to confirm that this feature(s) is still greatly missing. Any confirmation/news/rumors of what will come in v9?
sentenza
Novice

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Olivier Tarnus

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:43 pm

Olivier, tape functionality enhancements coming in v9 are described in this blog post. Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1075 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby sentenza » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:56 pm 2 people like this post

Hello,

This looks really promising. I was at one of the Veeam Tour events this morning and discussed this with the Veeam engineers present. Things are not going to be 100% perfect for tape in v9, but the improvements that are coming are definitely huge and I'm sure this will help a lot of customers, particularly on the performance side.
sentenza
Novice

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Olivier Tarnus

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:41 pm

Music to my ears, thanks Olivier. Do not forget to share the thoughts about missing features and your personal use cases – it will help us a lot when we are going to discuss the next version’s improvements. Cheers!
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 439 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby einhirn » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:18 am

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but I found it when looking for someone requesting the same feature as me.

I just found out that with v9 I can start multiple jobs pointing to one Media pool, but I can't make it to run more than one job with parallel processing.
I tried to accomplish that by running two jobs pointing to the same media pool and set it to use 3 of 6 drives. But obviously the count of 3 drives is a total for the media pool instead a "per job" limit for the media pool. I can't load-balance two jobs to one pool, they'll always run one after another.

The reason I was trying to do that, is that one job doesn't seem to run faster with parallel processing to more drives so I just wanted to run more jobs in parallel.

Hopefully v9.5 will change a lot in terms of tape performance...
einhirn
Influencer

Liked: 1 time

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:42 pm

einhirn,
the count of 3 drives is a total for the media pool instead a "per job" limit for the media pool

Can you elaborate? Parallel processing allows to run several tape jobs simultaneously if you have enough tapes assigned to this media pool.
v9.5 will change a lot in terms of tape performance

You will be surprised :wink:

P.S. Tape Parallel Processing - good read
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 439 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby mkretzer » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:58 am

Will there be an option in V10 to stream multiple backup files to the same drive? We really have problems keeping our LTO-7 Drive streaming - the storage could deliver more but not in one stream. Furthermore, if we have more than one storage we are always limited by the individual storages...
mkretzer
Expert

Liked: 67 times

Previous

Return to Tape