Feature Request: Restart Failed Backup Objects

Everything about backing up to tape

Feature Request: Restart Failed Backup Objects

Veeam Logoby QTech » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:26 am

Morning,

Apologies if this is already requested somewhere on the following pages.
Would it be possible to have an option on failed full backups to "restart failed objects" in the same manner as on HP Data Protector tape backup? This will save us an immense amount of time and tape wear. At present I have to restart the full backup job from the beginning, having erased the tapes that were part of the failed full backup job.

Would it also be possible to more adequately handle tape drive contention. We have a single robot with two drives. Sometimes one drive can be in use with Data Protector, very occasionally both tape drives, and some times the robot is moving tapes - This generally either causes a hardware error on the tape robot, or complete failure of the Veeam tape backup job. If it could wait and retry that would be fantastic.

We seem to have to long-erase all our tapes too, otherwise the backup jobs fail.
We seem to have to use fresh tapes too - Tapes with part-backups stored therein (Veeam backups) cause the backup job to fail.

Many thanks.
QTech
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: QTech

Re: Feature Request: Restart Failed Backup Objects

Veeam Logoby nunciate » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:34 pm

I would also like the ability to restart failed tape jobs. I have some very large tape jobs that fail from time to time. I have to restart them all the time and do them all over. I have had some large tape jobs (10Tb single server) fail after 90% and then had to restart from the beginning. Really annoying...
nunciate
Expert

Liked: 23 times
Full Name: Alan Wells

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:04 pm

Hi guys,
Thanks for bringing this up: this feature is (or was, until this post) in the long term list. We will take it to the next version's feature discussions :wink:
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 477 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby wgrixti » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:45 pm

Any update on this? I am running V9 Update 1 and the option does not seem to be available. Very painful to start the whole backup to tape process again if something causes it to fail during the job.
wgrixti
Influencer

Liked: never
Full Name: Wayne Grixti

Veeam Logoby aleksandr.markovskij » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:25 am

Hello, i have the same problem, found this thread. Is this already implemented or not?
aleksandr.markovskij
Influencer

Liked: 1 time

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:17 am

Nope, nothing has changed since the last reply, the said functionality is yet to be implemented. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1020 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Return to Tape