Feature request: Schedule "files to tape" after other job

Everything about backing up to tape

Re: Feature request: Schedule "files to tape" after other jo

Veeam Logoby Didi7 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:53 am 1 person likes this post

Honestly, it's no harm to look into other backup products and what they offer in their options, specially when it comes down to tape backup. I am sure a lot of users love the simplicity of VBR and many of them were used to other traditional backup software for a very long time and the tape part is very important to them, as Gostev admitted in one of his Digest lately.

Tape support is very good already, but there is still room for improvement.

Always keep in mind, where users came from (other backup software) and try to realize what there were used to before they started to use VBR. I am sure most of your VBR customers where used to backups, which finally find their way to tape and other backup software has lots of good options and flexibility regarding tape backup, so it's helpful to know the features of them as well.

I can compare several products, because I know many different backup products, so I know what features are really helpful and are partly missing in VBR. That's why I see so many feature requests here regarding tape backup :D

Regards,
Didi7
Using Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5 Update 2 on every backup server here!
Didi7
Expert

Liked: 15 times

Veeam Logoby rreed » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:35 pm 1 person likes this post

Things like verify in other tape backup software? And direct (VM) to tape backups? And eject the tape after any activity (erase, catalog, etc.) because it's best practice not to leave a tape in a drive? :wink: Advantages to using File to Tape instead of Backup to Tape? First and foremost to me is pulling our backups from a dedupe device. Counter-intuitively, Backup to Tape doesn't just copy a backup file (vbk, vib, etc.) to tape, for whatever reason VBR does some transformation on the files that for us, reside on dedupe device. Opening and working w/ files on a dedupe device is a no-go, please. So we have to use File to Tape to simply copy our Backups to Tape. :D

To Didi7's point, as much as I've loved and respected Veeam's general VMware backup capabilities, I can completely and identify w/ the fatigue setting in where we're all begging and clawing and prying to get Veeam to introduce long standing tried and true features into its Tape support. It becomes very difficult over time as paying customers to fight the fight of please just introduce this one little feature that we legitimately need and exists in every other tape software (so it would be understood to be seen as a useful feature) and the push-back we get is "Why? What good would that do you? Who would want to do that?" Ending w/ "Well we don't see how that would be useful, so we're going to do it, at least not right now." It makes it very difficult to take our eyes off our old tape software that have been doing the things we need quite well for a very long time. W/ utmost love and respect Veeam, please stop pushing back, take a good look at veteran tape software, and help accommodate what your paying customers are clamoring for rather than insisting on doing it your way. Please. :D

I don't think any of us are trying to be a butt here (I'm not!), we're just trying to get common features finally added in, and at that are very grateful we have a voice here.
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
Dell TL2000 via PE430 (SAS)
rreed
Expert

Liked: 72 times

Veeam Logoby Didi7 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:14 am 1 person likes this post

Do you now see the need for a scheduler option 'After this job' in a 'File to Tape Job' ?

Raise your voice guys!

Regards,
Didi7
Using Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5 Update 2 on every backup server here!
Didi7
Expert

Liked: 15 times

Veeam Logoby plandata_at » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:38 pm

I support this feature request!!
plandata_at
Enthusiast

Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Plandata Datenverarbeitungs GmbH

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:17 pm

Hi guys,
Sorry for keeping silcence.

Didi7,
Thanks for explaing - makes sense to me.

rreed,
And eject the tape after any activity (erase, catalog, etc.) because it's best practice not to leave a tape in a drive?

Partially agree. The only reason why we keep the tape in drive after operations is to decrease the time spent on loading media. For instance, you can run inventory and start writing to the same tape without the need to reload this media again (thus saves time).

Opening and working w/ files on a dedupe device is a no-go, please.

This one is interesting and thanks for pointing this out. I'll check with QA and DEVs why it's not working.
help accommodate what your paying customers are clamoring for rather than insisting on doing it your way

That is exactly what all community forums are about and that is why I usually ask to supply a request with a personal a use case (such feedback goes further and is used during internal discussions). Please don’t get me wrong it was not a push back, more like a push forward from your side to our side
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 439 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Previous

Return to Tape