Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
vmtech123
Veeam Legend
Liked: 133 times
Full Name: SP

Feature Request: copy an entire media set

Post by vmtech123 » 1 person likes this post

The copy tape job works pretty good, however, Is there a way to copy an entire media set? Could this be a feature request?
For us with 2 tape servers/libraries, it would be great to just have one tape proxy replicate to the second too... So when I do a file to tape, or backup to tape job that just goes to the second site.

My main site backs up to tape from the repository at that location. I have copy jobs to a second site, then from the copy job I am backing up to tape at the second site.

The issue is if I just want to do a one off job, copy a veeamzip to tape or file to tape job, I have to do everything twice every time.

Thanks
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 520 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Feature Request: copy an entire media set

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

Many thanks for the idea! The request is noted.

Thanks!
vmtech123
Veeam Legend

Post by vmtech123 » 1 person likes this post

If it could even do a once a day proxy to proxy compare and migrate the differences.......... So disk to tape to tape or something like that.

It would be a way to have a second offsite copy of data as you add data to a pool.

Just an idea. Thanks
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

vmtech123,

To make sure I got it right - you would like something similar to backup copy job but for tape, right? Start tape copy for newly recoded media on a schedule to a different tape device. Thanks!
vmtech123
Veeam Legend

Post by vmtech123 »

Yes. That would be so good to have in many of the situations where we have 2+ libraries and want multiple copies on tape at multiple sites. I suppose this could work on a GFS or regular Pool.

Basically a copy job for a whole pool. That way if I add something to 1 or multiple tapes, I know I'm covered if the library goes down or the tape gets damaged.

Using SAN to SAN copy job at a dr site then a Tape job from there is working pretty good, but Some times on File to Tape job I get into a situation where it would only be in one location on tape for that pool.

Thanks in advance.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

vmtech123,

Thank you for sharing the details! Added your notes to the feature request.