Feature Request (Tape and Forever Incremental)

Everything about backing up to tape

Re: Feature Request (Tape and Forever Incremental)

Veeam Logoby newfirewallman » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:22 am

Yes. My Tape job I run weekly will use 5 LTO6 tapes, and I would still like the daily backup to disk to run while the tape job is running.
newfirewallman
Enthusiast

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Blake Forslund

Veeam Logoby newfirewallman » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:57 pm

Yes. In my environment I need to do daily backups, but my tape job takes longer than 1 day to send off to tape (only do off to tape weekly)
newfirewallman
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:48 am

When a source backup job takes place, it should not prevent a tape job from creating virtual synthesized full backup. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby newfirewallman » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:45 pm

What happens when the tape job is running and a source job kicks off?
newfirewallman
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:53 pm

The tape job should be stopped as it has less priority in comparison with backup job (secondary vs primary destination). Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby newfirewallman » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:10 pm

That is the dilemma!
I want daily backups (source to run daily)
I also want a weekly or monthly tape job that will be a synthetic full.

My backup job to tape is 11.5TB-14TB (takes longer than 24 hours to complete.

Do you see the issue I have now?
newfirewallman
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:14 pm

Are we talking about synthesized full backup or about normal tape job cycle? As mentioned, a source backup job running should not prevent a synthesized full backup creation, only normal archival cycles would be stopped in this case.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby newfirewallman » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:21 pm

I'm not following your verbiage possible (what do you mean by normal tape job cycle, or source tape job?)

I'm trying to make it as clear (as mud) as I can.
Daily full backup to disk (my primary backup) weekly I would like to synthesize a full backup to tape on Friday. Currently if the tape job starts Saturday morning 9:00am (synthesized full on Friday) and my daily jobs start on Saturday night, it will break the currently running tape job. I would much rather it ignore the retention policy and merging, and just create an extra incremental until the tape job is complete (or at the next incremental that the tape job isn't running) and then merge and get back on schedule with the retention job.
newfirewallman
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:34 am

I'm not following your verbiage possible (what do you mean by normal tape job cycle, or source tape job?)

As to source job, I've made a typo and written source tape job, instead of source backup job; apologize for confusion.

Normal tape job cycle means a cycle during which a backup to tape job is just copying files, and not creating virtual synthesized full backup directly on tapes. So, the next question during Saturday's cycle you're willing to create a virtual synthesized full backup on tape or just make backup to tape job copy files?
Currently if the tape job starts Saturday morning 9:00am (synthesized full on Friday) and my daily jobs start on Saturday night, it will break the currently running tape job.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby newfirewallman » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:37 pm

I'm not really following, but if you would like to discuss in person that would be excellent.

My tape job only runs once a week (starts on Sunday or Monday) and synthesizes a backup from the source backup to disk job as of Friday. So when the backup to Tape job is running it takes in excess of 25 hours and obviously my regularly scheduled daily backup will have to run before it finishes, hence it affecting the vbk/chain that the synthesized backup is using to tape.

Does that make sense or am i not understanding it properly?
newfirewallman
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:03 pm

According to the QA team, in Update 2 if a backup to tape job is creating the synthesized full backup, and at that moment a backup job (that is specified as the source for the backup to tape job) starts, it should not prevent the backup to tape job from creating virtual synthesized full backup.

Hope it helps.
Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby newfirewallman » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:05 pm

Sorry i was doing full without snythesized (which wasn't ideal because the VBK's could be a week behind what i really wanted) which when the incremental to disk job ran would change the vbk.
Installed Update 2 Will run a tape job tonight with synthesized as of saturday and see what happens when the tape job is running and the incremental to disk kicks off.
newfirewallman
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:27 am

Glad to hear we've clarified out conclusion.

Virtual synthesized full backup is recommended for forward forever incremental chains, indeed. Not only should usage of it allow to have up-to-date .vbk on tapes, but also it should solve you the issue of backup job interrupting the tape one.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby newfirewallman » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:47 am

So i have V8 Update 2 and running synthetic full as of saturday. Started the job, it created the synthetic backup and starting writing to Tape. Then the normal daily incremental to disk job started while the job to tape was running. And it failed the tape backup with the following error: "Synthetic Full stopped by job (name of source disk backup)"
newfirewallman
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Dave338 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:00 pm

And the issue of copying to tape the synthesized backup and also the full vbk in every job has been corrected in anyway?

I can't have 2 full backups transfered to tape and so the forever incremental modifies the vbk every day (merging oldest incremental), there are two vbk files copied to tape, the oldest point in the chain, and the synthesized one (plus the incremental files)
I've using reverse incremental to avoid this problem and copy to tape only the full backup, that is the newest one, but It stresses my backup target too much=slow.

Regards.
Dave338
Enthusiast

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: David

PreviousNext

Return to Tape