Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
TrevorBell
Veteran
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Trevor Bell

Feature Requset- Latest Full Backup Chain - File To Tape

Post by TrevorBell »

Hi Folks,

Whilst Backup to Tape does support Process latest full backup chain only files ... I do not see this option in File to Tape settings...

I think it would be handy if you want to backup a full directory but only the latest backup chain within it ( if you keep alot of fulls and increments ).

For sure if you have one set of backups you can use the File Mask and select *.vbk etc

My tape backups run quicker with file to tape option rather than backup to tape option.. Just trying to see if there is a way to decrease the backup window without buying a new LTO Library.

Is there a technical reason why this option is missing from the advanced settings and cant be added in a later version potentially :D ?

Many Thanks

Trev..
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Feature Requset- Latest Full Backup Chain - File To Tape

Post by PTide »

Hi,
My tape backups run quicker with file to tape option rather than backup to tape option..
That is a legit reason to contact our support team for investigation. How big is the difference? Do you have any numbers? What is your source backup chain?
Is there a technical reason why this option is missing from the advanced settings and cant be added in a later version potentially :D ?
It could be added, however at the moment there is no reason to do so as there are two separate types of jobs already - those that have files as a subject (file to tape), and the others that work with backups and chains (backup to tape).

Thanks