Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
MaPf
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Markus Pfohl

File Backups to tape fail

Post by MaPf »

Hi all,

I have an issue with a new feature of Veeam 12
I'll have to explain in detail:

We back up customer-based.
Primary backups will be done to disk and kept for a month.
Once a month there will be a Backup to tape that will be kept for a year.
E.g. a customer has some VMs, some Hardware servers backed up with Agent and some file share.
With v11 I needed at least 2 Jobs for the tape backup per customer, one job covered the agent and VM backups and one job did file to backup.
For customers with a slow network connections (where we back up their fileservers) I write the whole repository to tape,for customers inside the datacenter I do a direct file-to-tape backup.

I was very happy to see Veeam 12 is now able to write the file backups from the repository to tape.
So I merged the jobs and added the file backups to the existing VM/agent-to-tape jobs
Unfortunately that did not work out in most cases.

The Jobs fail at some point (when they're at the file backups) with errors like
:: Unknown acknowledge code: [637534207].
:: Failed to backup /www: Unknown acknowledge code: [637534207].
:: Task |www completed with warning. Details: Unknown acknowledge code: [637534207].

or

:: Failed to backup archiv/2023.05.08_Geldkonten.csv_20230509_080510.gz: Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.
:: Task |dubi|space-XXX-1|archiv|2023.05.08_Geldkonten.csv_20230509_080510.gz completed with warning. Details: Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.

The job then fails ultimately with
:: Error: Failed to find valid gateway server for non-scheduled repository XXXX: [xxx.xx.local] Failed to check whether file or folder \\x.x.x.x\share exists.

I also have an open case #06097454 if you want to check logs

I could switch back to the old backup to tape method, but I really waited for that feature and would love to use it.

Thanks
Markus
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: File Backups to tape fail

Post by Mildur »

Hi Markus

Thanks for the case number.
I recommend to keep working on the case with our support team. If required, they will escalate it to RnD.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
MaPf
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Markus Pfohl

Re: File Backups to tape fail

Post by MaPf »

Hi all,

that particular issue seems to be resolved with the current CU P20230718 although not mentioned in the patch notes
However now new issues arise like
Backup file XXX.vbk will be excluded from the list of files to backup because it is unavailable
on SOME VM Backups to tape. The job ends with warning writing 0B to tape.
On restarting the job it succeedes backing up the VBK to tape ... but that seems completely random, rescanning the repository inbetween seems to help.