Discussions specific to tape backups
Dima P.
Veeam Software
Liked: 634 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: File not found

Post by Dima P. » Aug 08, 2018 5:41 pm

Hello Tom and sorry for the delay.
tomnewman wrote:We have a 10TB volume that we backup direct to tape because we don't have NAS space to do an intermediate backup. It takes about 20 hours to back up and there is a good chance that the contents may change during the backup. It isn't critical data but we would rather not lose it if we don't have to so we backup to tape to have an off-site, air gap copy.
Is that a windows file server volume or NAS volume?
tomnewman wrote: It is not unusual to have missed files, we would like to be able to check which files were missed without wading through long log files.
Whenever you get such warring in job stats you can open job session log to review the list of files that were skipped during backup process (you can find extended job logs here C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup\).

tomnewman
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Tom Newman

Post by tomnewman » Aug 20, 2018 9:06 pm

Hi Dima

I must also apologise for the late reply. I have been checking the thread but hadn't noticed that it had gone on to a second page so I missed your reply until now.

This is an agent backup of a Windows volume.

I appreciate the information is in the logs but to put that into context, the logs run to over two million lines spread over about 50 files (presumably because of a log file size limit). Would you fancy finding missed files in that?

Veeam is a great backup program but it is the only backup software I've used (and I've used a few over 30 years) that doesn't list skipped files in the standard log file. I can't believe that it is that programmatically difficult to record the exceptions and add them to the standard log.

Dima P.
Veeam Software
Liked: 634 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » Aug 23, 2018 4:21 pm

Hello Tom.

Thanks for getting back to us.
This is an agent backup of a Windows volume.
If that's an agent backup then your backup is taken with VSS snapshot. It means you don't have to deal with the locked files at all and this data must be processed by Veeam agent.

tomnewman
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Tom Newman

Post by tomnewman » Aug 27, 2018 10:57 am

Hi Dima

The problem is files (or folders) deleted after the start of the backup (and bearing in mind the backup takes 20+ hours that is pretty common).

I can't just assume that the failed files are because of this, I need a list to check that the results are as expected (because of deletions) rather than another reason.