Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
dai.richards
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Dai Richards

File-to-Tape building file tree, taking forever.

Post by dai.richards »

Hi,
I have several large snapshots (up to 10TB) LUN's mapped from our Dell Compellant to our physical Veeam Tape server, and need to do a file-to-tape job to go offsite but Veeam is taking forever at the 'Calculating' or 'Building File Tree' stage (several days). The tape server uses FC to talk to our Spectra T950 tape library.
On the smaller LUN's once it has completed Building File Tree' it proceeds to write to tape at about 145MB/s which is ok.
The larger ones I have yet to see how long they take as I have never had the time to see them complete!
Can you suggest a better or faster way to do this kind of backup?
Thanks for your help.
Dai.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: File-to-Tape building file tree, taking forever.

Post by Dima P. »

Hello and welcome to the community Dai.

What Veeam B&R version are you using? Are you running bundled SQL express for your Veeam B&R installation? Can you estimate how many files you have on this LUN? Thanks!
dai.richards
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Dai Richards

Post by dai.richards »

Hi,
Thanks for the reply,
We are using the latest B+R 9.5.0.1922, SQL is the bundled version, and the LUN's are huge, several million that include everything from docs to tiff's, mpegs etc, that come from our Dell Compellent Storage.
Dai.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

In such cases we recommend using full-blown SQL server (see SQL Server Edition recommendations). Thanks.