File to Tape Job and GFS Media Pool

Everything about backing up to tape

File to Tape Job and GFS Media Pool

Veeam Logoby mr-tin » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:19 pm

Hi,

I was indenting to use a Backup to Tape Job with a GFS Media Pool to back up my VMs and then use the same GFS media set to append a File to Tape Job.

However I am not able to assign a GFS Media Pool to my File to Tape Job.

Does anyone have a suggestion please?

Thx
mr-tin
Novice

Liked: 1 time

Re: File to Tape Job and GFS Media Pool

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:15 pm

Hello mr-tin,

GFS media pools were designed specifically for backup to tape jobs, so you can’t use them in conjunction with file to tape job.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 439 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:05 am

And the only option you have is to create different files to tape jobs as well as media pools (say, weekly, monthly, etc.) with different overwrite protection periods and link those entities together. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

[MERGED] File to GFS archive

Veeam Logoby fja » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:36 pm

We are reworking our DR plans, and focus is on ability to recover from tapes according to server priority.

To be able to do that we have tried several options for storing Veeam data as part of the tape jobs to GFGS archive. This does not work..

We can select a repository to add to GFS tapes, but the repository setup as target for configuration backup on decentral VBR servers shows no content.. Based on answer from support (ticket #02034409) this is currently by design - as config backup is not a 'real' Veeam backup job.
Next option is to setup a tape file job - selecting the folder manually. This work - but does not allow GFS volumes as target... which only leaves option to use a full additional tape to store just the configuration :cry:

Please provide a option to allow Tape file job to utilize GFS medias - this to allow us to store config backups and catalog data together with backups - ensuring full consistency and easy handling in case of DR to new equipment..
fja
Influencer

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:24 pm

As mentioned above, GFS Media Pools have been developed specifically for backup to tape jobs, and for now this is likely to stay as is.

Thank you for the feedback, though, highly appreciated.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby mr-tin » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:46 am 1 person likes this post

v.Eremin wrote:As mentioned above, GFS Media Pools have been developed specifically for backup to tape jobs, and for now this is likely to stay as is.

What needs to happen in order for Veeam to change its stand and make GFS Media Pools available for Tape file jobs :?:
mr-tin
Novice

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:54 am

Hmm, chances are, an unexpected and sufficient growth of number of customer's requests towards this functionality will lead into assigning a higher priority to this feature.

However, since there is a noticeable difference between demand for GFS MP for file to tape job and demand for other enhancements, the situation is likely to stay as is, at least in the foreseeable future.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Dhammer » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:57 pm

I know I am late to this post, but I will give a hearty thumbs up to having any backup method that can go to tape be GFS enabled. That is how tape is supposed to work. If you are going to support it, then you should FULLY support it. Thanks and Regards.
Dhammer
Novice

Liked: never

Return to Tape