File to Tape Media Set question

Everything about backing up to tape

Re: File to Tape Media Set question

Veeam Logoby tombpcnpa » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:06 pm

If I select the Media Set to use the Do Not Create, Continue Using Current Media Set with the Retention Policy of 4 weeks I can't use that tape for 4 weeks worth of Incremental backups.
I'd have to wait until the 4 week expiry time had passed before I could use it again.

What I'd like to do is to use the same physical tape for 4 weeks worth of Incremental backups, with the ability to be able to restore any file from those Incremental backups in the 4 week period.
If this is simply not possible then so be it. Should I open a support ticket to try to explain the situation more clearly?
tombpcnpa
Influencer

Liked: never
Full Name: Tom Beck

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:38 pm

Tom, the support case is not required here.
If you don`t want to set 4 week protection period after the increments are written to the tape, you may either set protection period = 1 week or not set it at all so while new increments rewrite the older ones starting from the beginning of the tape, the 3 other weeks of backups will be available for the restore.
Does it fulfill you requirement?
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Liked: 430 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Veeam Logoby tombpcnpa » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:36 pm

So if I create the Incremental Media Pool with the Media Set configuration Do Not Use, Continue Using Current Media Set, with the Data Retention Policy set to nothing, I should be able to use the same tape for 4 weeks and be able to restore any of the backups?
You say that new increments will rewrite the older ones starting from the beginning of the tape, but is that only if the tape is full? or will a backup job overwrite the oldest data on the tape first - supposing it doesn't have any retention settings?

Is it just going to be easier for me to link each weekly job (using 1 tape on a Friday night) to the incremental jobs running Mon-Thurs on one other tape?
This way I have to purchase additional tapes (that will hardly be used) for the incremental jobs, but at least I'll be more confident of my ability to restore files for my users
tombpcnpa
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:20 am

So if I create the Incremental Media Pool with the Media Set configuration Do Not Use, Continue Using Current Media Set, with the Data Retention Policy set to nothing, I should be able to use the same tape for 4 weeks and be able to restore any of the backups?

No, in this case you need to use script as Vladimir suggested above, otherwise the tapes will not be rewritten.
Is it just going to be easier for me to link each weekly job (using 1 tape on a Friday night) to the incremental jobs running Mon-Thurs on one other tape?
This way I have to purchase additional tapes (that will hardly be used) for the incremental jobs, but at least I'll be more confident of my ability to restore files for my users

Yes, you may use several jobs as a source of the tape job to use tapes space more effectively.
Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby tombpcnpa » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:48 pm

I don't know what script you're referring to. Is it one to script SQL commands in Powershell? Either way, I don't think that will work as I don't have the ability to export tapes as I'm using a Quantum SuperLaoder3 which lacks the required I/E slot to be able to export tapes.

I seem to be going round in circles trying to get incremental backups to work. To confirm my understanding of the setup I ran the incremental job again just now - with Do Not Create Media Set and no Data Retention, and as expected it overwrote the incremental jobs from last week.

So your suggestion that
If you don`t want to set 4 week protection period after the increments are written to the tape, you may either set protection period = 1 week or not set it at all so while new increments rewrite the older ones starting from the beginning of the tape, the 3 other weeks of backups will be available for the restore.
doesn't seem to be correct. If I set any Data Retention period - which is a concept I understand, the tape can't be used until that period has expired. Fair enough. But if a tape is used on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, I can't use the tape again the following Monday.

I don't understand what you mean by
you may use several jobs as a source of the tape job to use tapes space more effectively.
tombpcnpa
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:04 am

You are right, let`s sum up the discussion.

Our suggestion for your requirement is to select "do not create, always continue using current media set" option and reload the tapes every 4 weeks, so 4 weeks of increments will be in a single media set (and tape).

If you are not able to export tapes, the best way is to configure weekly creation of a new media set with 3-4 weeks of protection period.

By you may use several jobs as a source of the tape job to use tapes space more effectively. I meant that if you write all the disk backups to tape using one tape job instead of several, the tape job will use 1 media set. As long as the problem we are solving is to use tapes effectively without unneeded retention, that`s the way to go.
Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby tombpcnpa » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:18 am

I give up!

Our suggestion for your requirement is to select "do not create, always continue using current media set" option and reload the tapes every 4 weeks, so 4 weeks of increments will be in a single media set (and tape).

Seems to contradict your previous answer to my question,

No, in this case you need to use script as Vladimir suggested above, otherwise the tapes will not be rewritten.

I'm guessing that all of these answers revolve around the ability to export tapes or write PS scripts to achieve the same result, somthing that I'm not going to attempt.
For now I'll simply stick to orignal plan of using a sperate tape each week for both the Full and Incremental jobs.

I can't waste any more time waiting and testing various options and need a solid backup schedule in place for my users.
Hopefully future versions of Veeam will contain more file to tape options and more detailed documentation of the media pool/media set roles.

I appreciate that your original goal was to provide backup for virtual machines and that you're presumably communicating in a language other than your native one, so thanks for trying to work with me.
I'll probably be back with other backup questions in the future.
tombpcnpa
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:55 pm

Tom, we`ve suggested you several options, some of them contradict each other, you are right.
Your final plan to new create media set(in your case it equals "use new tape") each week is totally sane and was among our suggestions.
We have taken your request into account, thank you for explaining that!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Previous

Return to Tape