Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
GianlucaCroci
Expert
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Gianluca Croci

FileBackup to tape

Post by GianlucaCroci »

Hello,
We started using FileBackup to save "File Shares", and it works very well.

Every month we put the Backups on Tape, and we'd like to put these FileBackup too.

In normal Backups or CopyJobs it's very simple. The FileBackup instead I don't find how to insert them.

For the moment I've created a "Files to tape" job, but I hope there is another method that allows me to draw on the backups already made.

Thanks in advance
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: FileBackup to tape

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Gianluca.

Two official ways to have a copy of File Backup would be:
- "Secondary destination", which is a disk-based storage(could be secondary cheap storage pile)
- "File Archive" which is more of storage optimization for long term retention, which can be cheap cloud storage also
Tape is currently not supported for File Backup jobs offload due to the nature of how backup is stored(virtual blobs which are changed dynamically between backups, instead of more "static" containers per restore point)

/Thanks!
GianlucaCroci
Expert

Post by GianlucaCroci »

Hi Egor,

thanks a lot for the answer.
Hope to have this possibility with the version 11 :-)

Otherwise it would be possible to Backup to Tape with "Files to Tape", going to save the folder used with FileBackup?

Thanks again
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Gianluca,

Thanks for your feedback! Unfortunately upcoming v11 wont provide ability to integrate file level backups with backup to tape, but it's planned for later versions.
Backup to Tape with "Files to Tape", going to save the folder used with FileBackup?
Backup files created by file level backup job are constantly chaining, so daily tape out via file to tape most likely will process entire set of file every time (simply put - you will have full backup on tape every file to tape job run). If the requirement is to do a monthly tape out for backup files produced by file job, then you can do that by enabling full backup option in file to tape, otherwise I'd recommend to stick with file to tape jobs directly from the file share source. Cheers!
GianlucaCroci
Expert

Post by GianlucaCroci »

Hi Dmitry,
thanks. So I can't use the Backup done on the Veeam Repository, but I've to Backup directly from the NAS with a "Files to tape" job (Tape Job)
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Yes, thanks correct. Thanks!
GianlucaCroci
Expert