Files to tape is painfully slow

Everything about backing up to tape

Re: Files to tape is painfully slow

Veeam Logoby cffit » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:27 pm

I am guessing that the file backup issues were not addressed in the R3 patch at all, or even partially? Just thought I would ask.
cffit
Expert

Liked: 33 times
Full Name: Christensen Farms

Veeam Logoby johndoe10110 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:51 pm 2 people like this post

cffit wrote:I am guessing that the file backup issues were not addressed in the R3 patch at all, or even partially? Just thought I would ask.

Why would they? They said *there's a great chance* for next release, not patch/hotfix, which has been stated a couple times now. Who knows when the next actual release will be. I'm hoping for sometime this year, like most, but I guess we'll never know until it comes out ;). It's nice to see them putting out some consistent patches+hot fixes at least.
johndoe10110
Influencer

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: John Dooe

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:14 am 1 person likes this post

Yep, we didn't plan to address this issue in the recent patch due to the amount of required changes. Chances are, this will be included in the next release.

As to the ETA, the previous weekly forum digest has had this information:
Gostev wrote:Very excited, and we at Veeam R&D are looking forward to putting the goods into your hands this summer.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby mschobben » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:07 am

Just did a test file2tape v7r2 patch 3 and still its unusable slow!
mschobben
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Micha Schobben

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:44 am 1 person likes this post

Hi, Micha, as mentioned above, we are unable to address this issue with the patch release due to amount of changes required. However, the next product release scheduled for this summer should improve file to tape job performance significantly. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby FXE » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:15 am

Hello,

The patch 3 doesn't correct this issue. When you say "there is a good chance that we will address this in the next release", should I understand you address this in a major release like "R3" and not in a patch ?
FXE
Influencer

Liked: 1 time

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:16 am

As it is stated above, the next major Veeam B&R release (scheduled for this summer) is likely to introduce improvements in this area.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1075 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby FXE » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:15 pm

OK thanks. Sorry, I've replied to a post on page 3, I've not seen that there is a page 4...
FXE
Influencer

Veeam Logoby johndoe10110 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:20 pm

FXE wrote:OK thanks. Sorry, I've replied to a post on page 3, I've not seen that there is a page 4...

It's on Page 3 too :wink:

There is good chance that we will address this in the next release (but not in patch or hotfix, as the changes required are too big). We have already built a prototype that increases the speed of backing up large amount of small files by at least an order of magnitude.
johndoe10110
Influencer

Veeam Logoby FXE » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:58 pm

I will put my glasses on next time !
FXE
Influencer

Veeam Logoby sdelacruz » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:13 pm

Any fixes on the latest Patch 4 for the issue of slow backup of files to tape using veeam?
I am backing up 500 GB of veeam backup files using the File to Tape backup on veeam. It's taking almost 20 hours to backup this.
I still need to backup more than 2 TB of veeam backups to tape but at this rate I cannot afford to use this tool to move my veeam backup files to tape. I was very happy to move out of BE but I guess I need to go back to it. I also upgraded my tape library to a new Dell Powervault 124T SAS connected but this did not help either.
:cry:
sdelacruz
Enthusiast

Full Name: Sam De La Cruz

Veeam Logoby johndoe10110 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:21 pm

sdelacruz wrote:Any fixes on the latest Patch 4 for the issue of slow backup of files to tape using veeam?

It's been mentioned several times, even two posts above yours, this won't be addressed in ANY patch. There's a good chance some changes will be implemented in v8,which is due later this year.
johndoe10110
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:00 pm

sdelacruz wrote:I am backing up 500 GB of veeam backup files using the File to Tape backup on veeam. It's taking almost 20 hours to backup this.

This is most likely some configuration or environmental problem, so please open a support case to troubleshoot this. Large files should be backed up as fast as with BE, and 20 hours for 500GB is definitely unexpected. This topic is talking about a performance issue when backing up thousands of small files to tape... backing up a handful of large Veeam backup files to tape was never an issue.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2348 times

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:05 pm 1 person likes this post

As to the main issue discussed in this topic, right now I can confirm that this has been addressed in v8. Big thanks to John Doe for relentlessly covering our backs in this topic in the mean time ;)
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2348 times

Veeam Logoby jbaxter5256 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:37 am

Definitely no performance improvement for file to tape in V7 SP4. It is essentially unusable in backing up large numbers of small files. When is V8 going to be released with an appropriate performance profile for file to tape backups for VEEAM?
jbaxter5256
Lurker

Full Name: Jerrel Baxter

PreviousNext

Return to Tape