Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
lukejf
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Luke

Forever Forward

Post by lukejf »

Hey Guys
Just after some advice with Backups to tape. I have a customer and one of their requirements is backing up the entire veeam repository to tape daily. Currently we achieve this by using reverse incremental and third party backup software. The issue we find is reverse incremental is slow and requires quite a large amount of IOPS.
We would like to switch to veeam version 8 and use the native tape support. I have been reading about forever forward and it looks to require less resources than reverse incremental and basically achieves similar results besides the latest backup not being a full. Now here is where the questions start.
I know with reverse incremental and veeam native tape backups, it copies only the latest full backup to tape when run daily. What I'm wondering is can I switch to forever full and copy the full backup plus incremental chain to tape daily?

The main reason for this approach is it allows my customer to roll back using one set of daily media in the event of a disaster.
thanks for your help
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Forever Forward

Post by veremin »

What I'm wondering is can I switch to forever full and copy the full backup plus incremental chain to tape daily?
In order to have daily full backup on tapes, you can utilize new synthesized full backup, instead. Thanks.
lukejf
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Luke

Post by lukejf »

v.Eremin wrote: In order to have daily full backup on tapes, you can utilize new synthesized full backup, instead. Thanks.
Hi Vladimir
I will have to revisit this, however we initially found it too slow when using this method
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

There were some issues related to tape job performance that should have been fixed in patch#1. So, please, update to the latest product version and check it out. Thanks.