Free tape after retention expires?

Everything about backing up to tape

Free tape after retention expires?

Veeam Logoby danas » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:01 pm

We only keep 2 weeks on tape and have been having an issue with Veeam appending data to partially full tapes instead of overwriting them. They don't need to be erased, just moved to the free pool and they work fine. If i manually move them the night before the backup everything is happy the next morning. If I don't, the tape is usually full and the job is waiting for a second. Am I just missing a setting somewhere or is there a way to automate this? Thanks!!
danas
Influencer

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Dana

Re: Free tape after retention expires?

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:46 am

What media set creation option are specified in the setting of given media pool? And retention settings does it have? Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 973 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby danas » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:43 pm

I had "Do not create" set until yesterday, It is now set to create a new set each run. I found that after posting. I haven't tested yet, I will tonight. I suspect that's what i needed though? Retention is set to Protect for 13 days. We have a 2 week rotation. thanks!
danas
Influencer

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Dana

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:14 pm

Correct. Tape retention is applied on mediaset level. With mentioned option in place, you had only one mediaset. As the result, the retention could not take place. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 973 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Return to Tape