Full backup to Tape - One off

Everything about backing up to tape

Full backup to Tape - One off

Veeam Logoby mdmd » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:35 am

Hi all,

We want to archive all our File servers on a 4 year retention as a one off backup. (we create one every summer)

The backup job its creating this from is an incremental backup with 60 restore points.

Is there anyway of getting a Full backup these servers with no incremental on the tape disks. I cant see the option and its seems you cant run jobs directly from Production to Tape.

(i see in the full backup options i can select a month, so if i select first Tuesday and only select august (today), would that give me a full of live data as of the last backup, last night?)

Thanks

Mike
mdmd
Enthusiast

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mike

Re: Full backup to Tape - One off

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:06 pm

Hi Mike,

To calrfiy, you are refering to backup to tape where source file is your file server backup? Thanks.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 441 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby mdmd » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:43 pm

Hi Dima,

Sorry i should have said more.

We have 8 file servers(VMs) on VMWare that are backed up with incremental backups in veeam and and retained for 60 days. We would like these server to have a one off backup to tape (no incremental with them) Currently we do this with symantec but our license has expired and would like to retire the legacy BExec server.

Thanks
mdmd
Enthusiast

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mike

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:28 pm

Mike,

You can create a simple backup to tape job with this backup jobs selected as a source. Select full backup only and run it once. As a result you get a pack of tapes with desired full backups and you can store them for 4 years (you can set retention on the media pool).

- Create a tape server and connect your tape device
- Create a simple media pool and add free some tapes
- Create a backup to tape job (or create a file to tape job and backup the .vbk files)
- Run it once
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 441 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Return to Tape