Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
GuidoK
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Guido Kraus

full backup to tape only once a month

Post by GuidoK »

I have a daily forward incremental backup to disk with a synthetic full on Sundays.
I also have a tape library that should store all restore points of a calendar month. The tapes in the library are replaced each calendar month.
The problem is the data is too big for the tape library to store several full backups per month.

Is it possible to create a tape backup job that only contains one full backup per month and daily incrementals for the rest of the month although having weekly synthetic fulls on disk?

Thanks for your ideas
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: full backup to tape only once a month

Post by Dima P. »

Hello GuidoK,

From the top of my head, you could change the source disk job backup mode to forever incremental and run virtual fulls backups to tape on a monthly basis. Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Or switch from weekly to monthly full backup.
Iain_Green
Service Provider
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Iain Green

Post by Iain_Green »

We used to create a copy job that would create 1 monthly GFS point, then set a tape job to to collect new _M files.
Worked a treat.
Many thanks

Iain Green
GuidoK
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Guido Kraus

Post by GuidoK »

Dima P. wrote:Hello GuidoK,

From the top of my head, you could change the source disk job backup mode to forever incremental and run virtual fulls backups to tape on a monthly basis. Thanks!
That seems to be the right (and only) option. Whenever I activate "synthetic full" on the source disk job (which is only possible on a weekly basis) the tape job picks up the weekly updated full backups and my tape library runs out of space.

Thanks,
Guido
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

My mistake, I thought you were using active full backup (that can be run monthly). Then, disabling full backup and sticking to virtual full backup seems to be the only option. Thanks.