Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
edvschriesheim
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Schriesheim

GFS Media Pool and Icrementals - How to Restore?

Post by edvschriesheim »

Hello,

we've got a new library with more capacity and are now looking forward to backup our VMs via Tape to an GFS Media Pool.

At the Moment we have a Daily Backup Job (VM to Disk) as an Forever Incremental.

I've no configured a GFS Media Pool and an Simple Media Pool.
Also i've created 2 Tape Backup Jobs:
  • GFS Tape Backup: Backup to the GFS Media Pool every Sunday
    Source: Daily Backup Job
    Schedule: Weekly Backup: Sunday, Monthly Backup First Sunday, ....
  • Incremental Tape Backup: Backup to the Simple Media Pool.
    Source: Daily Backup Job
    Schedule: After Daily Backup
    Media Pool for Full Backup: Simple Media Pool (Schedule only in Dezember Last Saturday)
    Media Pool for incremental Backup: Simple Pool
The problem is, with only an GFS Tape Backup Job i can't backup my daily incrementals from Monday till Friday.
Thats why i created the second Job and the simple Media Pool.

My Question is. Can i restore the incrementals from the Incremental Backup Job to an Full Backup from the GFS Media Pool or do i need an additional Full Backup for my daily incrementals?

Restore Example:
When i restore the Wednesday Backup he should use the Sunday GFS Full backup and then add the incrementals?
  • Sunday: GFS Full Backup from GFS Media Pool
  • Monday: Incremental from Simple Media Pool
  • Thuesday : Incremental from Simple Media Pool
  • Wednesday : Incremental from Simple Media Pool
Is this poosible or do i need an "extra" full Backup every week or two in the Simple Media Pool for restore purposes?

Greetings
Tobias
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: GFS Media Pool and Icrementals - How to Restore?

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Hello Tobias.
Is this poosible or do i need an "extra" full Backup every week or two in the Simple Media Pool for restore purposes?
Simple media pool with periodic full backup is required to write incermentals to tape.
Can i restore the incrementals from the Incremental Backup Job to an Full Backup from the GFS Media Pool or do i need an additional Full Backup for my daily incrementals?
Incremental backups are 'linked' to full backup in simple media pool and there is no way to use another full backup (in your case - GFS). That said we will have some improvements in this field, so consider this limitation as temporary one. Cheers!
edvschriesheim
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Schriesheim

Re: GFS Media Pool and Icrementals - How to Restore?

Post by edvschriesheim »

Dima P. wrote:That said we will have some improvements in this field, so consider this limitation as temporary one. Cheers!
Good to know. Thanks! :D