Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
redhorse
Expert
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: RH

GFS Tape Backup and Backup Copy

Post by redhorse »

Hello,

I am struggling with the configuration of a new GFS tape job. The source jobs contain among other also a Hyper-V backup copy job. This backup copy job is configured for immediate copy mode.

Now after doing some tests I’ve noticed that the restore points of this particular backup copy job were not stored on tape although new restore points appear during the tape job.

The tape job is scheduled to run daily at 2 am no not to process the most recent restore point instead of waiting.

So, what’s the trick with it?

In addition I am confused with the GFS job concept, perhaps someone can clarify this:

- What’s exactly happen on the scheduled time?
- I’ve noticed that the tape job stopped at midnight instead of running whole day, is that right?

My source jobs are running between 6 pm and midnight, how should I configure the tape job to achieve my needs to have a daily increment and a weekly full on Saturday?

Thanks!
redhorse
Expert

Re: GFS Tape Backup and Backup Copy

Post by redhorse »

Good morning,

after doing some tests I think I’ve worked it out how to do it. I’ve changed the following settings:

- Weekly full backup on Sunday instead of Saturday
- Enabling of „ Process the most recent restore point instead of waiting“

Now, the tape job starts on Sunday 2 am with the weekly backup and picks the most recent restore point of Saturday evening, even the backup copy restore points. Is the the recommended way for my needs?

What happens if the tape job is still running when the source job is starting? I’ve enabled that the tap job may not be interrupted but what happens to the selection of the restore point? When does the job defines which restore point will be use, at the time when the job starts (so 2am in my case)? I have to avoid that the weekly full consists a mix of restore points from Saturday and Sunday.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi RH!
This backup copy job is configured for immediate copy mode. Now after doing some tests I’ve noticed that the restore points of this particular backup copy job were not stored on tape although new restore points appear during the tape job.
Can you please confirm that restore points created by backup copy are not GFS? Can you check the Home > Backup > Tape node for the restore points available on tape?
- What’s exactly happen on the scheduled time?
GFS tape job starts to wait for new restore points to appear till the day is over.
I’ve noticed that the tape job stopped at midnight instead of running whole day, is that right?
Yup, that's correct. GFS tape job restarts at the end of he day to start the new daily backup cycle, it should now await for new restore points for the new day.
Now, the tape job starts on Sunday 2 am with the weekly backup and picks the most recent restore point of Saturday evening, even the backup copy restore points. Is the the recommended way for my needs?
Sounds ok, just keep in mind that on tape you will get restore points with one day delay.
What happens if the tape job is still running when the source job is starting? I’ve enabled that the tap job may not be interrupted but what happens to the selection of the restore point? When does the job defines which restore point will be use, at the time when the job starts (so 2am in my case)?
When 'prevent this job from being interrupted' option is selected, the source job will wait until the tape job finishes.
I have to avoid that the weekly full consists a mix of restore points from Saturday and Sunday.
With 'process the most recent restore point' check box GFS tape job will use any available restore point on disk, without waiting for new backups files to appear. Based on your current setup - worst case scenario you get full backup from Friday restore point instead (or earlier), but not from Saturday.
redhorse
Expert

Post by redhorse »

Hi Dima,

after changing the job settings to pick the most recent restore point it seems to be fine, so I can’t provide more information about the issue I had before.

But just to clarify my new settings and the selection of restore points:

Let’s say the tape job starts on 2 am on Sunday and it processes the most recent restore points, which restore points will be selected if...

- the source job started on Saturday but is still running? (Does the tape job wait until it’s finished?)
- a new restore point will be available at 6 am of a source job which is not already processed by the running tape job.

Thanks!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi RH,
- the source job started on Saturday but is still running? (Does the tape job wait until it’s finished?)
Yup, it will await for new restore point creation.
- a new restore point will be available at 6 am of a source job which is not already processed by the running tape job.
Will tape out this available restore point.

Some cases/limitations described here: How GFS Backup to Tape Works.