Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
redhorse
Expert
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: RH

GFS Tape-Backup

Post by redhorse »

Hi,

we're currently using Veeam 9.5U4 and I am considering to change my tape backup process to a gfs tape as it actually meets my requirement. I already used it about two years ago and I had some trouble with the selection of restore points so I've changed to standard tape backup.

I just need to do a weekly, monthly and yearly full backup with the restore point of Saturday to tape, the source jobs are all forever incremental with daily backup and two of them are backup copy jobs.

If I choose Saturday for the weekly full backup, does the tape job waits until the restore point gets created on the specific day? What about the backup copy job which still locks the restore point until Sunday? In addition I need a daily increment to tape, I assume this is not a big deal within GFS.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: GFS Tape-Backup

Post by Dima P. »

Hi RH,
If I choose Saturday for the weekly full backup, does the tape job waits until the restore point gets created on the specific day? What about the backup copy job which still locks the restore point until Sunday?
Yup, GFS job will create a full backup for the set day if restore point exists on disk (or can wait for the job if it's still running). Basically GFS tape job starts according to the schedule and periodically checks if you have new restore point for this day.
In addition I need a daily increment to tape, I assume this is not a big deal within GFS.
You can do that with daily media set, but keep in mind that it might process full backups as well since tape job puts into daily media set every restore point from disk. To avoid that you need to make sure that full backup for source job matches with the weekly/monthly/yearly tape GFS schedule. Then instead of writing full to daily, it goes to elder media set and all dependent daily incremental in the daily will be linked to such full backup.