Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
moderniste
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: jeremy

GFS tape with Forever Forward Incremental

Post by moderniste »

Hi,
I recently switch from reverse incremental with simple tape job to forever forward incremental with GFS tape job 8) . I was thinking this way perfect because I want only full backup on tape. First Daily job has synthetized a virtual full but day after only incremental .vib are copied in tape, there is not virtual full.

I don't undertsand the concept or something is wrong ?
csydas
Expert
Liked: 47 times
Full Name: Harvey Carel

Re: GFS tape with Forever Forward Incremental

Post by csydas »

Hi Jeremy,

Do you have the incremental tape backups enabled? There's a checkbox for it in the tape job settings, and you can uncheck it.

fwiw, If all you want is a single full backup, reverse incremental is the way to go, since apparently Veeam only looks for the full backup with reverse. With forever forward, Veeam apparently assumes there will be an extended backup chain, and even has a bare minimum of restore points for the source job (I think it's 3 points).

If all you want is a full every time tape runs, just stick with reverse incremental. Your planning will be way easier.
Regnor
VeeaMVP
Liked: 291 times
Full Name: Max

Post by Regnor »

With a GFS media pool you won't be able to create daily virtual full backups; your backup job will have to creat daily fulls or you need to switch back to reverse incremental.
A standard media pool on the other hand could be configured to create daily virtual full backups.
So you'll have to choose which combination is the best/easiest for you.
moderniste
Influencer

Post by moderniste »

Hi, thanks for you replies.

So, GFS is unable to generate daily virtual full on tape :(
It was little misty for me because :
If the source job creates an incremental backup, the GFS job synthesizes a virtual full backup.
in doc
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... l?ver=95u4

I think back reverse incremental method.
lyapkost
Expert
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: Konstantin

Post by lyapkost »

Hi Jeremy. If there's no elder media sets scheduled for today and there is a full point on tapes to link to, the GFS job will only copy incremental backup, not creating virtual full on tapes.
3. For GFS jobs with the Daily media set enabled ->
If today is only the Daily media set is due, the GFS job copies all available restore points to the Daily media set.
moderniste
Influencer

Post by moderniste »

Hi,
yes it is, support confirmed that behavior. I did not understand the tape process with FFI on helpcenter or here : https://eivanov.gitbooks.io/secondaryco ... iving.html

I'm back on reverse incremental because I don't want to manage restore points on tape, only full with daily export to the vault.