Hide Tapelibrary Slots in Veeam

Everything about backing up to tape

Hide Tapelibrary Slots in Veeam

Veeam Logoby chas0rde » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:10 am

Hello everyone,
I am pretty new to Tape Backup with Veeam.
We are using a HP MSL8096 Tapelib with 93 Slots.

I want to use part of that Library (2 drives + Slot1-40) for another Backupsystem and the rest of the drives and slots for Veeam.
In my other backup software I am able to hide the slots 41-93 from the software so that they are not used for backups.

I would like to do the same for Veeam. Unfortunately I did not find a similar option.
All slots and drives are shown.

Is there a way to limit drives and slots? Otherwise is it possible to prevent the usage on another way? (at best in a way that is not error prone with regard to the admin ;) )

Thanks for any help :)

Best regards
chas0rde
Enthusiast

Liked: 3 times

Re: Hide Tapelibrary Slots in Veeam

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:15 am 1 person likes this post

Is there a way to limit drives and slots? Otherwise is it possible to prevent the usage on another way? (at best in a way that is not error prone with regard to the admin ;) )

There is no such functionality in VB&R. However, if your device supports partitioning, you can achieve your goal with the use of it. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby chas0rde » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:05 pm

Hello
yeah I did not find this functionality in my Library at first. So I estimated that it had to be done like it is possible in my other software.

Found the option in the MSL WebGUI now :)

It can be done under Configuration > System > Logical Libraries in case someone else is wondering :)
You cannot partition freely (e.g. set the number of slots and drives for each partition) but it should work for most use cases :)

Best regards
chas0rde
Enthusiast

Liked: 3 times

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:51 am

Yep, as long as tape device support partitioning, it should be possible to split it into two separate devices and provide them to different software. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Return to Tape