Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
ibarizz
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

How to interact GFS daily jobs with tape jobs

Post by ibarizz »

Hello,
I have the following situation in which I don't know if GFS Tape backup jobs is gonna help me.
Currently I'm using jobs that are running once a month as then I use those full backups for tape jobs.

As this isn't suitable for our storage (lot of space is being used), we are planning to use GFS in our Daily jobs. The problem is: how can I interact tape jobs with our daily GFS Jobs?
Is there any way I can configure media pools in order to tell them only to use those backups with the monthly tag from GFS daily jobs and not the whole chain?

I did not open a support ticket btw.

Thank you so much!
Facundo.
nikolaj
Expert
Liked: 57 times

Re: How to interact GFS daily jobs with tape jobs

Post by nikolaj »

Hi Facundo,
The problem is: how can I interact tape jobs with our daily GFS Jobs?
Could you please elaborate on that? What exactly do you mean by interaction in this case?
If I got this right, you want only your monthly backups that are configured with a GFS policy to be written to tape media pools? Is that the goal?

Thanks.
ibarizz
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Post by ibarizz »

Hello nikolaj, thank you for your reply.

Yes, basically what I want to understand is if there is a way I can configure media pools or tape jobs in order to process only those monthly full backups that are configured with the GFS policy in my daily jobs. I don't know if this can be done with GFS Media Pools, but from what I've read I think it's not possible at all.
nikolaj
Expert
Liked: 57 times

Post by nikolaj » 1 person likes this post

Hi Facundo,

The way you envisioned it is not going to work, but that's ok. What you ultimately need is to have backups from a specific date to be present on the tape.
So what you could do instead is set up a tape job to a GFS pool on certain dates (if you need them to be once a month, just start a monthly media set) and then that tape job will automatically build a synthetic full backup based on the desired date and transfer them from the repo.

I hope this helps.