Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
rreed
Veteran
Liked: 72 times

How to restore an entire tape?

Post by rreed »

Morning, everyone. I'm looking around and googling; I want to select a tape and restore everything on it, a particular tape. We do file to tape, and I need to evacuate a given tape on occasion (backups sent to wrong pool/tape, etc.). I don't find an easy way of doing this in Veeam. Help?
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
Dell TL2000 via PE430 (SAS)
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: How to restore an entire tape?

Post by veremin »

Do you know the content of this tape? If so, the easiest option might be to launch "Files from tape restore" and chose the required backup set explicitly. Thanks.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Might be tricky.

1. Go to tape properties to get the clear picture of what files are kept on this tape.
2. You need to know the media set name for this tape. Check the tape media properties as well
3. Next, go switch from tape infrastructure to files view. Find the desired files in the catalogue
4. Selecting the file (or root folder in the left pane) and hit restore files from tape. Once done go to Backup set and select the restore point of the file that is associated with your tape media set.

Realized that due the lack of information regarding tape media/backup set process might be a bit ugly but hope it helps.
rreed
Veteran
Liked: 72 times

Post by rreed » 1 person likes this post

Thanks guys, I think Files, Tape, <folder>, right-click/restore might get me what I need. It was in a test pool, set to never change media set, so only one shows up, which may also mean all these files just fit on the one anyways? Choosing Backup Set, only one shows up so I presume that might make this easier if I only have one choice regardless.

This one tape might be 1 of 2 in a set, I see it loading one of the two tapes in this pool, and when I looked at the tape properties I did see the same stuff in this other tape. I'll let it run through its gyrations and see what it does.

All the same, a feature request of right-click a tape, "Regurgitate" or otherwise "Restore all of this tape somewhere for me, i don't care what's on it," would be awesome. :wink:
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
Dell TL2000 via PE430 (SAS)
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »