Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
final
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times

Howto start GFS Job after Backup Job?

Post by final »

Hi,

I have a backup job which starts every day but Saturday at 6pm. It does a full backup on Friday and incrementals on every other day.

Preferably, I would like to start my GFS Copy-To-Tape job right after the Friday job finishes, which is usually around 7am on Saturday. AFAIK, this isn't possible. So I've set the GFS job to run weekly on Saturday. Currently, the job just waits for "new Backup sets to appear" until midnight and then starts duplicating the correct backup sets.

According to this Thread I should be able to add a Registry DWORD

Code: Select all

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication\TapeGFSBackupWaitTimeout 
to set the GFS timeout. I've added the registry key with a value of 600 decimal so the job would start at 10am, but unfortunately (despite a server reboot in the meantime) it still waits until midnight. Am I missing anything?

Thanks,
final
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Howto start GFS Job after Backup Job?

Post by Shestakov »

Hello,
final wrote:Preferably, I would like to start my GFS Copy-To-Tape job right after the Friday job finishes, which is usually around 7am on Saturday. AFAIK, this isn't possible. So I've set the GFS job to run weekly on Saturday.
Copying process should start right after new files appeared on disk if disk job finishes on the same day GFS job is scheduled.
As explained in the linked topic you provided, GFS job starts at midnight and waits for the new restore points during 24 hours, once files appear it copies them to tapes.
Thanks!
final
Enthusiast

Post by final »

But according to the linked thread, that registry key should give a some in terms of waiting time. Am I not properly understanding what the registry key is supposed to do? Btw, I'm using v9 with Update 2
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

That`s another thing.
The key prolongs wait time-out for a source backup(copy) job in case it failed in the first run.
And in your case the files will start to be copied once the source job is finished.
final
Enthusiast

Post by final »

Ok, can you give me any advice on how I can get the GFS job to start as soon as possible after the backup job finishes?
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

The job itself will start at 12:00AM (midnight) of the scheduled day and run for the whole day. Backup files from the source backup job will start to be written on tape as soon as they appear on the repository(when source job finishes).
It`s explained in the topic you`ve mentioned above.
final
Enthusiast

Post by final »

Again, my job starts at Firday, 6pm and finishes around Saturday, 8am. If I understand everything correctly, I have two options for the GFS job:
1. schedule it for friday. It will timeout at friday, 11:59pm and start copying the lastest full backup set, which is the backup set that's one week old
2. schedule it for saturday. it will timeout at saturday, 11:59pm and start copying the latest full backup set, which is the one that had finished 16 hours ago.

Both of these options are not very neat. Is there any possibility to start the GFS job "right after" the backup job finishes?
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

That`s a bit incorrect. The tape-GFS job should start copying once the source job is finished.
Tape job starts to copy at 11.59pm only if no new files appear.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

The tape-GFS job should start copying once the source job is finished.
If both of the jobs have been started in the same day. Otherwise, the GFS job will wait till the end of the day before copying anything.
Again, my job starts at Firday, 6pm and finishes around Saturday, 8am.
In this case, schedule the GFS job to take place on Saturday and set 9 hours as waiting interval via regkey.

Thanks.
final
Enthusiast

Post by final »

Sorry I'm getting back to this. I still don't manage to get the GFS Job running after the regular backup job finishes. The Timeout-Regkey works, but the job just finishes after 10 hours saying no candidate was found, so the tape job just stops without doing anything. see attached screenshots.

Any ideas?

veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

We're trying to confirm that behaviour at the moment. I'll post back when I have more information. Thanks.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

We were not able to confirm it in version 9.5. So, at least that version does have this issue fixed.

You can also mention that within your support ticket and, thus, be provided with early access to new product version, as soon as it goes RTM.

Thanks.
dib
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

[MERGED] GFS to Tape start

Post by dib »

Hi

I´m trying to figure out GFS scheduled start time.
  • We make full backup job on every friday ti disc
  • Saturday runs our backup copy job
  • Sunday at 00:00 runs the GFS tape job
But the tape job is idle and status is
  • No GFS candidate for Weekly media set was found for today, waiting.
The tape job is looking at the repository for full backup files, but I have to stop the and start a weekly manualy so i will be done by monday.

I think the tape job will wait for 24 hours, and then take the full backup files from friday.

Do i have to start the GFS tape on friday, which makes no sense, because the backup jobs does not start before 6 o'clock inn the evening, and the last one is note done before Saturday morning.

Hope some can clear this out for me.

Kind Regards
Dennis
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Dennis,
If you want to start copying to tape right after backup copy job finishes you need to schedule the tape job to start on Saturday.
The logic is explained above, please get familiar.
Thanks!
dib
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Post by dib »

I will try to do that for the upcoming weekend.

Are there any difference in setting repositories as source for backup files or Job as source for backup files, in the tape job settings?

I currently use repositories.

Dennis
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

There is no difference, Job starts at 0:00, waits and immediately copies all new restore points, and copy rest of the restore points in the end of the day.
Thanks!