Looking for Guidance with Tape

Everything about backing up to tape

Re: Looking for Guidance with Tape

Veeam Logoby seadave » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:01 am

The main issue is that the criteria for report generation is not open across the pre-configured reports. I seem to be finding Report B is targeted at the data I want, but the options to configure it as needed are only available in Report A for example. I'll do some checking and be more specific. All reports should allow you to pick a data range for reporting for example.

Going back to my tape issue and also snapshot problems I was having:

1. Make sure your ESXi hosts are patched current. I found this patch:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/micros ... Id=2096282

Summaries and Symptoms
This patch updates the esx-base VIB to resolve the following issues:
•Attempts to vMotion a virtual machine that is swapping memory to disk due to high memory load might cause the virtual machine to stop responding.
•A virtual machine might stop responding after a successful snapshot consolidation.

Definitely seemed to help in our case.

2. Reduce the number of "Concurrent Tasks" in your proxies. Mine was set at 8 for the virtual (VM in my cluster) proxy (8GB RAM) and 12 for the local proxy (32GB RAM). This was killing my EQL PS6X00 storage. Reducing the number of tasks actually allows the jobs to finish faster because the individual VMDKs are processed at 80MB/s vs 40MB/s. Similar to trying to copy multiple sets of files off a CDROM. Faster to do each in succession than at the same time.
3. Make sure you remove any old backup agent software from your VMs.
4. Make sure latest VMWare tools are installed after updating your hosts. Use VUM for this. MUCH FASTER. It also allows you to configure hosts for auto update on reboot. (You can do this from the VM Settings Options also).
5. Pay attention to VMDK size, LUN free space, and how multi VMDK VMs are provisioned. Assign OS and Data volumes to different SCSI cards if warranted.
6. Regarding tape, make sure your interface is as fast as possible. Direct SAS is best. If using a tape server, you won't get more than the bandwidth of the cable connecting the two systems. We had a Dell iSCSI to SAS bridge. It topped out at 50MB/s over 1Ge. (We have very fast switches). Using 6Gbs SAS HBA directly connected, we now get ~120MB/s which is near top end of our LT4HH drive.
seadave
Enthusiast

Liked: 6 times

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:48 pm

Thanks for the feedback, seadave!

Actually giving custom settings for the each predefined report is made by purpose to avoid superfluous information.
If you need think some reports need more options/info, please let us know. So, yes examples will help a lot here.

Note that you can choose desired options using our Custom Reports such as VMware Custom Performance and Custom Infrastructure.
Thanks.
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Liked: 393 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Veeam Logoby seadave » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:50 pm

Shestakov wrote:Thanks for the feedback, seadave!

Actually giving custom settings for the each predefined report is made by purpose to avoid superfluous information.
If you need think some reports need more options/info, please let us know. So, yes examples will help a lot here.

Note that you can choose desired options using our Custom Reports such as VMware Custom Performance and Custom Infrastructure.
Thanks.

I've started an updated thread related to the concerns I have with the product located here:

tape-f29/suggestings-for-improving-tape-ui-and-reporting-t26571.html
seadave
Enthusiast

Liked: 6 times

Previous

Return to Tape