LTO5 media only recognized with half its capacity

Everything about backing up to tape

Re: LTO5 media only recognized with half its capacity

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:32 pm

And what is the current version of drivers you're using? Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 973 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby danas » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:17 pm

v.Eremin wrote:What driver version you're using? Is it 3.7.0.1 by any chance? There is a bug in this version making software recognize tape capacity improperly. For now you can install previous driver version, this should fix the issue. Thanks.

Is there anything specifically needed to get a previously misread tape to show the correct size again? I have downgraded the driver to 3.6.0.5 but Veeam still only reports the Tape at half capacity. I have also removed the tape from the catelog and added it back to the free pool, I also did a simple erase on it but it is still not reading correctly. Please advise. Thanks!!

Dana
danas
Influencer

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Dana

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:57 am

I our labs we've seen the problem to be specifically related to said driver version. Once drives had been downgraded, everything started to work properly. As you can see above, old version also helped some of our customers with the similar problem. You can open a ticket with our support team, and I will ask QA team to take a look at it.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Terrum » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:07 pm

I've got similar problem: Veeam v7 latest build can see only about half (712GB) of LTO-5 media full capacity. I opened a ticket and first thing they said it's a known bug in Veeam and if I have driver 3.7.0.1, I should go back to previous version. Well, I rolled back to previous version and now with driver 3.5.3.1 Veeam shows only 679GB total for an LTO-5 tape - that's even less than with driver 3.7.0.1 !!!

This issue was first reported over three months ago, perhaps even earlier, and IMHO it's not really something one can call "minor" issue. I'm pretty sure that all affected customers would be very happy to see a hotfix or a patch fixing this bug made available by now. Even if that means waiting a week or two longer for Veeam v8 release!

My ticket # 00622027

Thanks!
Terrum
Influencer

Liked: 3 times

Veeam Logoby TBone » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:54 pm

Having just bought LTO5 tapes, I have discovered the same issue. I know it was asked before, but how do we download the previous version of the drivers?
TBone
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Brian

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:57 am

Please contact Quantum support for drives issues and downloads.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2350 times

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:37 am

Terrum wrote:This issue was first reported over three months ago, perhaps even earlier, and IMHO it's not really something one can call "minor" issue. I'm pretty sure that all affected customers would be very happy to see a hotfix or a patch fixing this bug made available by now. Even if that means waiting a week or two longer for Veeam v8 release!

As mentioned previously, most of this issues are related to a bug introduced in the recent version of drivers. Thus, there is little we can do in this case. The typical resolution allowing our customers to get rid of that issues is to downgrade drivers. If that doesn't help in your case, kindly, keep working with the support team.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby TBone » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:32 pm

I got the 3.6.0.6 drivers for Server 2012R2 from Quantum's website and installed them. No help, still having the same issue. That's all the help I could get from Quantum.
TBone
Novice

Veeam Logoby tsightler » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:38 pm 1 person likes this post

You may need to fully erase the tape, including any crated partitions. LTO5 and greater media support the concept of partitions similar to the way disk include partitions. If the tape was recognized at the lower capacity, it might have formatted a partition of that capacity. Then even if you change the driver so that it detects correctly, Veeam will only see the formatted capacity of the device.

After reverting to the older driver please follow the exact steps as noted in this specific post and report if you continue to experience the issue.
tsightler
Veeam Software

Liked: 1740 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Veeam Logoby TBone » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:53 pm

After deleting the partitions with xTalk, the tape capacity didn't change. However the backup job ran normally last night and the capacity changed on the tape that was used. It also was fixed on another tape by doing a full erase, although that took over an hour.
TBone
Novice

Veeam Logoby tsightler » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:32 pm

Did you re-inventory the tapes after you deleted the partitions with xTalk? Veeam likely wouldn't know about the change in capacity until the next time it stuck them in a drive.
tsightler
Veeam Software

Liked: 1740 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Veeam Logoby Terrum » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:10 pm 3 people like this post

I've got mine fixed only after calling Dell Enterprise Support (my Quantum LTO5 tape drive is part of Dell PV124T library). Full media capacity recovery instructions to save your time:

1. Stop Veeam B&R services
2. Run xTalk as Administrator (unless you disabled UAC on your system)
3. Run "Device Health Check" - this procedure will write 40GB of raw data on the tape currently loaded in the drive effectively erasing any data including any screwed up partitions (you will have to repeat this step for all tapes that were exposed to Veeam while your system was running 3.7.0.1 driver)
4. Start Veeam services, open B&R console and run Inventory Tape task - when done, you should see media capacity changed back to normal (1.4TB for LTO5)

Keep in mind that this is for Quantum drive and you already restored previous driver (3.5.3.1 in my case) prior to following these steps, otherwise Veeam will partition your tape with half capacity again. Good luck!
Terrum
Influencer

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:24 am

Great feedback, indeed. Thank you for sharing!
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby mfo » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:52 am

On step 3.), instead of writing 40GB to the tape, you can also just delete the partition with the "Delete_Partitions_LTO5"-Function. This worked for me every time with my bad tapes.
mfo
Influencer

Full Name: Christoph Weber

Veeam Logoby Terrum » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:44 pm

mfo wrote:On step 3.), instead of writing 40GB to the tape, you can also just delete the partition with the "Delete_Partitions_LTO5"-Function. This worked for me every time with my bad tapes.

Yes, using this function would be a big time saver indeed, but it's not available in the version of xTalk (6.4.1.5) included with drivers/firmware upgrade package from my vendor (Dell)...

If you see "Delete_Partitions_LTO5" function in your xTalk, what version is it and where from did you get it?
Terrum
Influencer

PreviousNext

Return to Tape