LTO5 media only recognized with half its capacity

Everything about backing up to tape

LTO5 media only recognized with half its capacity

Veeam Logoby mfo » Wed May 07, 2014 7:53 am

[Support Case #: 00561031]

Hi,
we've been using tapes with veeam since they where supported. Our Tape Library is a Quantum SuperLoader 3 with LTO5.
Since two weeks, the capacity of our tapes is only recognized with 712.4GB instead of 1.3TB, which is the amount of uncompressed space on a LTO5 tape.
So I load an old tape for reuse into our tape library and it shows up with the full capacity of 1.3TB (probably taken from the database). When this tape is picked by our weekly backup, the capacity drops to 712.4GB.
Mysteriously, the media capacity is correct in the tape drive properties:

Erasing, inventorying, cataloging the tape did not solve the problem.
Compression is disabled in the library settings and in the veeam tape job settings.
Newest vendor drivers have been installed for Library and Tape Drive.

So I'm a bit puzzled...
Any ideas?

Best regards,
Christoph
mfo
Influencer

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Christoph Weber

Re: LTO5 media only recognized with half its capacity

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Wed May 07, 2014 9:45 am

What driver version you're using? Is it 3.7.0.1 by any chance? There is a bug in this version making software recognize tape capacity improperly. For now you can install previous driver version, this should fix the issue. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby Pegasus05 » Wed May 07, 2014 2:56 pm 1 person likes this post

[Support Case: 00562796]

Hi Guys!

I have eactly the same problem. We're using a Quantum LTO5 HH tabletop standalone drive and started to use it since yesterday (new VBR installation, old drive). OS is Win 2012 R2, tape drive driver Version was updated to 3.7.0.1, VBR is v7.0.0.839.

After erasing the tape with VBR (new driver) its capacity was halfed. I changed the driver to Version 3.5.3.1 (This version was already in the list of drivers. I don't know how it got there, maybe Windows Update or OS provisioned).

Funny thing is, after changing the driver now even the "Quantum LTO 5 Tape Drive Properties" window (the one in the screenshot of Christoph) shows the tape to only have ~700 GB of capacity. Further erasing with VBR didn't change anything.

I used the Quantum "xTalk Management Console" to erase the tape by the function "Delete_Partitions_LTO5" (needs about 30 seconds). After that the "Drive Properties" window showed the correct capacity. VBR still listed ~700GB, but it hadn't refreshed yet. I erased the tape with VBR and - voila - it now shows as 1.3TB again. I will run a job tonight, let's see how it turns out.

Side note: When I still had driver Version 3.7.0.1 installed, you could see the Transition from 1.3TB to 700 GB happening. I used xTalk to reset the tape like shown above and then I erased the tape with VBR. While the erase-job was running you could see the capacity in the background first changing to 1.3 TB and then reverting back to 700 GB.

Best regards,
Alex
Pegasus05
Novice

Full Name: Alexander Mack (RE-LINK)

Veeam Logoby mfo » Wed May 07, 2014 4:22 pm

Thanks Vladimir, :D

I changed the tape driver back to the old version and now the full capacity is usable. (At least in the test job I created, will see this weekend if this works for our regular jobs, but I'm confident)

Best regards,
Christoph
mfo
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Pegasus05 » Thu May 08, 2014 8:04 am 1 person likes this post

That solved it for me. Tape job ran perfectly tonight.
I informed Quantum support via their support form. Let's see what happens.

Thanks, Vladimir!

Best regards,
Alex
Pegasus05
Novice

Full Name: Alexander Mack (RE-LINK)

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu May 08, 2014 9:28 am

We've already informed Quantum about this issue. So, they should be aware about it. Hopefully, they will fix it sooner rather than later. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby chillware » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:25 pm

mfo wrote:Thanks Vladimir, :D

I changed the tape driver back to the old version and now the full capacity is usable. (At least in the test job I created, will see this weekend if this works for our regular jobs, but I'm confident)

Best regards,
Christoph

Hi there, do you happen to have link to the previous version of the driver for Win 2012 R2? The Quantum site only has the latest avail. Thanks!
chillware
Influencer

Liked: never
Full Name: David McCoy

Veeam Logoby cfisher » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:17 pm

i'm having the same issue with the newer quantum LTO6 drive with both types of media either 5 or 6. can anyone supply me with an earlier driver?
cfisher
Lurker

Full Name: Chris Fisher

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:46 am

Hi, Chris, you might want to contact Quantum representative and see whether they have earlier drivers. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby mfo » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:54 am 1 person likes this post

cfisher wrote:i'm having the same issue with the newer quantum LTO6 drive with both types of media either 5 or 6. can anyone supply me with an earlier driver?

Hi,
if you use Windows 2008R2and installed the new driver yourself, you can use the driver supplied with the OS. Just right click on your tape drive and select "Roll Back Driver". This brought back the old installed working version of the driver for me.
mfo
Influencer

Veeam Logoby mc625569 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:01 pm

FYI

Same issue. QUANTUM LTO 6 HH version C - drive brand new model - shipped 7.7.14. All tapes reported as half size in veeam.
Using Driver 3.7.0.1
WINDOWS 2012 r2
Veeam 7 patch 4

Called Quantum, they immediately sent me old drivers.

All of the old drivers caused veeam to be unable to inventory the tape at all the inventory job failed with "resources unavailable". When I try to erase the tape or try any tape operations, the server reboots.
As soon as we switch back to 3.7.0.1 the drive operates fine it just sees half the capacity of the tape.

Quantum has no answer , and is currently "escalating to tier 2" - we are going to return this drive, and as of right now should be in the list of INCOMPATIBLE devices for this software.

Erasing Tapes with XTALK or whatever tool is not a workable solution for us - easier to just return the drive and get a non quantum LTO 6 that actually works.
mc625569
Novice

Full Name: M.C.

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:59 am

mc625569 wrote:All of the old drivers caused veeam to be unable to inventory the tape at all the inventory job failed with "resources unavailable". When I try to erase the tape or try any tape operations, the server reboots.
As soon as we switch back to 3.7.0.1 the drive operates fine it just sees half the capacity of the tape.

In this case, it might be worth contacting our support team and letting them investigate it directly.

I can confirm that there has been a similar case previously. The guy was struggling with Quantum device showing only half capacity of tape mediums. However, once he downgraded drivers from 3.7.0.1 to lower version, everything started to work properly.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby mc625569 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:46 pm

UPdate - Quantum LTO 6 Model c is NOT currently compatible with veeam . Rolling back drivers will not work with this model. Veeam level 2 support has suggested I get another drive.
You cannot roll back drivers with this drive, it won't work.

Can someone point me to a list of lto6 standalone drives that are confirmed working with veeam? I have to return mine.
mc625569
Novice

Full Name: M.C.

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:51 pm

Can you provide your support ticket number, so that, I can discuss the issue with the QA team? Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Someblood » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:32 pm

Hello,

Same problem: Veeam Support - Case # 00614300
Could you boost the Veeam french support, 2 weeks without backup to tape.
Thanks
Someblood
Influencer

Next

Return to Tape