Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
bdoe
Enthusiast
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Bryan

Managing rotated volumes and names

Post by bdoe »

How does Veeam handle labeling volumes? Previously I used Bacula for tapes, and from that console had to load each tape and label it. Bacula would then write a label to the beginning of the tape, and each time I loaded that tape, it knew what it was.

I now have three large file servers in Veeam, and would like to use an LTO-6 autoloader for secondary storage for them. At 20TB each, it'll take about 9 tapes to cover one. I have three sets of tapes that I've written labels for (never used a barcode reader), and I've put each set in the autoloader and cataloged the sets, and given them names. Some of the tapes are new, some were not; the used ones have been erased. However, I've been swapping sets and doing new catalogs, and I'm finding Veeam often doesn't recognize the tapes. How should I handle this? I'd like to be able to just swap to the tapes I need, let Veeam catalog the loader again, and let the jobs run on schedule. Is it something I should have a barcode for or can it be done without?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Managing rotated volumes and names

Post by veremin »

Without barcodes custom tapes' names are remembered inside the product database. Required correlation happens when tape is inserted in drive and a header is read. If you erase a tape afterwards, it will have a new header, and we won't be able relate it to the previous custom name.

I'd say that usage of barcode is preferable as it eases tape management tremendously. If I'm not mistaken, overwhelming majority of current tape device have barcode readers, so, if I were you, I would probably stick to it.

Thanks.
bdoe
Enthusiast
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Bryan

Post by bdoe »

Yes, the more I've been thinking about it, the more I think I'll look in to barcodes. I've never used them since it would have complicated things more with Bacula, and it handled manual labels pretty well, but as far as I know both of my autoloaders have them.

What's the best way to move to labels? Since the tapes have all been erased, and I've had some trouble swapping sets, I was thinking of just deleting them from the catalog, labeling them, and then loading them up and letting it scan them.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

I was thinking of just deleting them from the catalog, labeling them, and then loading them up and letting it scan them
Perfect plan! Please keep in mind that barcode labels must be unique whithin one backup server.