- Posts: 1
- Liked: never
- Joined: Apr 28, 2014 8:54 am
- Full Name: Daniel Stanek
I have a few questions about media retention in Veam's Media Pools. The documentation is not very clear in this points:
1. If I set media retention for some time in Media Pool settings - does it mean it protect data for this time from the point the data was written to tape (first or last byte for very long jobs?) or the date comes from the archived disk job (vib or vbk)?
2. Does the Veeam overwrite the oldest not protected tape in pool even if it contains part of the full backup and therefore it invalidates the next incrementals stored on next tapes? Does Veeam contain some logic for keeping Full backups for next increments?
3. From where comes the next tape in pool if I enable to get tapes from Free pool in case there are expired tapes in thes pool. In other words does prefer Veeam to overwrite expired tapes in pool or to get next tape from free pool (until there are some tapes).
Thank you very much
- Product Manager
- Posts: 19886
- Liked: 2152 times
- Joined: Oct 26, 2012 3:28 pm
- Full Name: Vladimir Eremin
1) Last byte.
2) Yep, it does. We don't have any special logic in regards to removing full backups from tape. Therefore, you should plan backup/backup to tape activity thoroughly.
3) Expired cassettes are taken first.
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests