Mixing Backup and File to Tape

Everything about backing up to tape

Re: Mixing Backup and File to Tape

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:53 am

Media Set is a set of tapes used for continuously writing backup data. Please check the hyperlink for more info.
pshute wrote:And why do I need to set the retention period? The previous tape should be safely out of the drive by the time the next backup is scheduled. Is that to guard against accidental overwriting? Or is it just something that is necessary with autoloaders?

If you store your tapes offline after the job is finished, you don`t need that option. Media set protection is needed if you leave the tapes in the media pool and don`t want them to be overwritten.
Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Liked: 394 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Veeam Logoby pshute » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:02 pm

Shestakov wrote:Media Set is a set of tapes used for continuously writing backup data. Please check the hyperlink for more info.

But I can't write any data to a tape unless it's part of a media set can I, even if I never continue writing onto a second tape?
pshute wrote:And why do I need to set the retention period? The previous tape should be safely out of the drive by the time the next backup is scheduled. Is that to guard against accidental overwriting? Or is it just something that is necessary with autoloaders?

If you store your tapes offline after the job is finished, you don`t need that option. Media set protection is needed if you leave the tapes in the media pool and don`t want them to be overwritten.
Thanks!

When you say "leave the tapes in the media pool", do you mean leaving them physically in an autoloader, or in the media pool defined by the software? I have a media pool called "Weekly tapes", and of course I want them to be overwritten next month, but for one day I want to be able to append a couple of jobs to a single tape.

I asked if there's a way to see what's on a tape. If you can tell me that then I can experiment and work out how all this works by trial and error. At the moment I'm just not confident of what will happen.
pshute
Expert

Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Peter Shute

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:58 am

pshute wrote:But I can't write any data to a tape unless it's part of a media set can I, even if I never continue writing onto a second tape?

Not sure I`ve got the question. Media set can consist of one or several tapes and as written in a link mentioned above, you can have only one media set or create new sets periodically.

pshute wrote:When you say "leave the tapes in the media pool", do you mean leaving them physically in an autoloader, or in the media pool defined by the software? I have a media pool called "Weekly tapes", and of course I want them to be overwritten next month, but for one day I want to be able to append a couple of jobs to a single tape.

I mean the media pool defined by the software.
Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby pshute » Thu May 19, 2016 10:20 pm

I'm still trying to get my head around how this all works. If I have a tape that had a backup written to it a month ago (or any random period), and today I want to append some files to the tape, what settings should I use for Retention and/or Media Set creation?
pshute
Expert

Veeam Logoby pshute » Fri May 20, 2016 3:12 am

And just curious, how come there's an option for making a Backup To Tape job start after another job has run, but not a File To Tape job?
pshute
Expert

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Fri May 20, 2016 9:17 am

pshute wrote:I'm still trying to get my head around how this all works. If I have a tape that had a backup written to it a month ago (or any random period), and today I want to append some files to the tape, what settings should I use for Retention and/or Media Set creation?

You need to make sure the tape is not protected from overwriting(protection period is already over) and point the file to tape job to a media pool with the particular tape you want use.
Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby pshute » Fri May 20, 2016 4:44 pm

Shestakov wrote:You need to make sure the tape is not protected from overwriting(protection period is already over) and point the file to tape job to a media pool with the particular tape you want use.
Thanks!

Won't that just overwrite the tape?
pshute
Expert

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Fri May 20, 2016 4:52 pm

No, if you select Do not create, always continue using current media set. option.
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby pshute » Fri May 20, 2016 5:01 pm

Ok, but then all the tapes in the pool can't be overwritten. If I only want to append once, to this particular tape, do I need to change that setting, then change it back later?
pshute
Expert

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Fri May 20, 2016 5:04 pm

That`s the setting for the whole media pool. All tapes in that media pool will work accordingly. You can create another media pool with different setting and point other jobs there. Or change the initial media pool`s settings.
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby pshute » Fri May 20, 2016 5:12 pm

Ok. Now can you please tell me how I can verify what I end uo getting onto the tape? I see that I can double click on the tape, then go to the Files tab. But that doesn't seem to be able to show me if there's more than one copy of a file on the tape.

If I repeatedly do a File To Tape for one particular file, for example, how can I prove to myself that it's now on the tape several times?
pshute
Expert

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Fri May 20, 2016 5:34 pm

That`s one of the ways.
To check number of restore points in VBR you can click on "Files" tab under which is next to "Tape Infrastructure" and choose the desired file to see how many restore points it has.
And the most convenient way is to use predefined Veeam ONE reports.
Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby pshute » Fri May 20, 2016 8:11 pm

Shestakov wrote:That`s one of the ways.
To check number of restore points in VBR you can click on "Files" tab under which is next to "Tape Infrastructure" and choose the desired file to see how many restore points it has.

Thanks, I can see this file I'm testing with has two restore points, as I'd hoped. But how do I tell where these restore points are? I know they must be on the tape, but how do I prove it? They could be on two different tapes.
pshute
Expert

Veeam Logoby pshute » Fri May 20, 2016 8:17 pm

Oh, I see. It's only showing me what's on the currently loaded tape, correct?
pshute
Expert

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Sat May 21, 2016 9:42 am

It shows you restore points in all tapes. To make sure the restore point is there, you may start the restoration wizard and actually perform a restore to be 100% sure
Shestakov
Veeam Software

PreviousNext

Return to Tape