Multiple Issues with tape operation

Everything about backing up to tape

Multiple Issues with tape operation

Veeam Logoby garybone » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:52 am

Hi,

Unless i'm missing something (entirely likely) the tape support is missing a trick or 2.

1. Media Pools can only support 1 active job, I personally do not require a myriad of media pools to support me running simultaneous jobs to both the drives in my library. This limits my storage flexibility as I back off my entire 3.5 Tb to 3 x LTO 5 daily ,I have to be careful how I carve it up using the B&R tape support.
2. I have no option to "Force" full backups on the tape job. Even if my main Veeam backup is only an incremental I would like the tape to contain the last full and all forward increments? this doesn't seem possible agan unless i'm missing a trick.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Gary
garybone
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Gary Bone

Re: Multiple Issues with tape operation

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:26 am

Media Pools can only support 1 active job, I personally do not require a myriad of media pools to support me running simultaneous jobs to both the drives in my library. This limits my storage flexibility as I back off my entire 3.5 Tb to 3 x LTO 5 daily ,I have to be careful how I carve it up using the B&R tape support.

Yep, with the current implementation you have to use separate media-pools in order to utilize several drives simultaneously.

I have no option to "Force" full backups on the tape job. Even if my main Veeam backup is only an incremental I would like the tape to contain the last full and all forward increments? this doesn't seem possible agan unless i'm missing a trick.

Could you elaborate on it a little bit? You want to have ability to “force-copy” the whole backup chain, instead of only increments, even though the chain has been previously copied to tape medias, right?

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 970 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby garybone » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:48 am

Hi,

1. Would it be possible to ask that this be considered for future?
2. you've hit the nail on the head.

Cheers
Gary
garybone
Novice

Veeam Logoby tfloor » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:02 am

As far as i know Question 2 is already requested by internal support people of veeam.
So i hope to see that option soon
tfloor
Expert

Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Tristan Floor

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:18 am

Yep, we usually take users’ feedback into account, while thinking about potential features or further improvements.

As far as i know Question 2 is already requested by internal support people of veeam.

There must be a slight misunderstanding - previously there has been a request for “copy latest .vbk” feature, meanwhile, the op's case is more about “copy latest .vbk, as well as, corresponding .vibs”. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby garybone » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:29 am

Ok so in terms of full backup chain copy can I request that this be submitted for a future version as it has advantages of recovery from multiple tapes given they are a fundamentally flawed (yet essential) media.
garybone
Novice

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:43 am

Yes, you can. Actually, you have already made such a request by creating this topic.

Also, assuming that you want each time to copy full backup chain to tape medias, one of the options would to create a different job each time. Though, in this case, the whole chain, indeed, will be copied, not just the latest .vbk with related vib files. If you find this scenario applicable, I can, probably, come up with the way how this process can be automated with PowerShell.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby tfloor » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:06 am

v.Eremin wrote:

Yep, we usually take users’ feedback into account, while thinking about potential features or further improvements.

There must be a slight misunderstanding - previously there has been a request for “copy latest .vbk” feature, meanwhile, the op's case is more about “copy latest .vbk, as well as, corresponding .vibs”. Thanks.

And we want both :)
tfloor
Expert

Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Tristan Floor

Veeam Logoby garybone » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:51 pm

v.Eremin wrote:Yes, you can. Actually, you have already made such a request by creating this topic.

Also, assuming that you want each time to copy full backup chain to tape medias, one of the options would to create a different job each time. Though, in this case, the whole chain, indeed, will be copied, not just the latest .vbk with related vib files. If you find this scenario applicable, I can, probably, come up with the way how this process can be automated with PowerShell.

Thanks.

I dont really want to go down the road of using powershell for something this simple. the other annoyance is I can't schedule a "copy files to tape" job to run after a regular backup job, that would be OK for the interim.
garybone
Novice

Veeam Logoby garybone » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:54 pm

Also, what would happen if I were to switch my jobs to reverse incremental. would I get a full backup to tape daily?
garybone
Novice

[MERGED] : v7 Backup to Tape Repository

Veeam Logoby nhue » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:06 pm

Hi,

The repository gets filled from a 14 restore point incremental backup to disk, there is a Backup to Tape Job Repository following right after, if I deselect the "Process incremental backup files" check box the job runs with "There is nothing to backup" on the second day, even tho there is new incremental data.

My question is, is there a way to get the WHOLE repository everyday on every tape, with the full and incremental data?

Thanks,
nhue
Lurker

Full Name: Normand Hue

Re: v7 Backup to Tape Repository

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:17 pm

"There is nothing to backup" on the second day, even tho there is new incremental data.

Actually, it’s expected, - you’ve disabled incremental processing, so, no incremental data is going to be copied to tape appliances.

My question is, is there a way to get the WHOLE repository everyday on every tape, with the full and incremental data?

What backup method is being used? Reversed or forward incremental one?

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:25 pm

Yep, with reversed incremental mode there is always a new backup after each job cycle. And it will be copied as a whole to tape medias. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby nhue » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:46 pm

Incremental with synthetic fulls.

Reading the description of Reversed Incremental I'm guessing I would at least have a single useable restore point going to tape, but if I want the whole repository to tape, should I be configuring a secondary target in my Backup to Disk job that goes to my backup to Tape job?
nhue
Lurker

Full Name: Normand Hue

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:00 pm

You request seems to be similar to the one discussed in this thread, so, I’ve decided to merged your posts into it.

Currently there is no such functionality that allows you to force tape copying of whole backup chain. After initial run, only incremental data is being processed.

So, if you want to have every day, at least, one independent restore point on tape media, then, you should switch to reversed incremental mode, indeed. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Next

Return to Tape