Need to Unprotect/Free Uncrecognized Tape

Everything about backing up to tape

Re: Need to Unprotect/Free Uncrecognized Tape

Veeam Logoby Stephan23 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:12 pm

I also have a case of a write protected tape. The write protection switch on the tape is set to unprotected, but it may have been set to protected in the past.
I have removed the tape from the catalog, tried to catalog/inventory the tape, inserted it to a different slot in the library, rebooted any involved server/library.
Get-VBRTapeMedium shows ProtectedByHardware as False if the tape was unknown before, but it switches to Ture if I try to erase/catalog it.
Disable-VBRTapeProtection results in an error:
Code: Select all
Disable-VBRTapeProtection : Failed to unprotect a tape medium M01B02. Medium is locked
Bei Zeile:1 Zeichen:59
+ Get-VBRTapeMedium -Name m01b02 | Disable-VBRTapeProtection <<<<
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (:) [Disable-VBRTapeProtection], Exception
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DisableTapeProtectionErrorId,Veeam.Backup.PowerShell.Cmdlets.DisableVBRTapeProtection
Stephan23
Influencer

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Stephan

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:06 pm

Disable-VBRTapeProtection won't help, since it disables software protection, while hardware one can be disabled only manually physically operating with a given medium.

Anyway, for some reason the said tape gets tracked as write-protected, so, kindly, open a ticket with our support team. Chances are, they will be able to modify wrongly reported parameter directly in product db.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 987 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby Stephan23 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:12 pm

Thank you for the quick reply. I will create a ticket. However I preferably need this tape today, do you think I could grab a new tape and put the same label on it as a workaround?
Stephan23
Influencer

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:38 pm

Use the same barcode, you mean? Why do you need to leverage this very same tape? As far as I can understand, you have spare tapes at hand. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Stephan23 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:08 pm

yes, i meant the same barcode. I don't need the very same tape (sorry, bad phrasing), that's what i meant with picking a new tape with the same label/barcode.
And just FYI, it works. So the wrongfully as protected tape is free of use.
Stephan23
Influencer

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:43 pm

Yep, you can do that, which you've already proved. So, something must have been wrong with that particular tape and that made product believe that it's still write protected. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

[MERGED] Unprotect a 'free' tape

Veeam Logoby Armonea » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:25 pm

Hello.

I need to unprotect a tape but the option is greyed out in the GUI. Only 'Inventory', 'Catalog' and 'Properties' are available choices.
I read on the forum that i should try to move the tape to a media pool. Did create a new pool 'Tapes' and put the tape in there: not able to unprotect. Also in PS no luck:
PS C:\Users\Administrator> get-vbrtapemedium -name VEEAM016 | Disable-VBRTapeProtection
Disable-VBRTapeProtection : Failed to unprotect a tape medium VEEAM016. Medium is free
At line:1 char:36
+ get-vbrtapemedium -name VEEAM016 | Disable-VBRTapeProtection
+                                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (:) [Disable-VBRTapeProtection], Exception
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DisableTapeProtectionErrorId,Veeam.Backup.PowerShell.Cmdlets.DisableVBRTapeProtection

Tried the erase option as mentioned in another of your threads, no luck:
PS C:\Users\Administrator> Get-VBRTapeMedium -Name VEEAM016 | Erase-VBRTapeMedium
Erase-VBRTapeMedium : Unable to erase tape medium VEEAM016 because it is <b>software</b> protected.
At line:1 char:36
+ Get-VBRTapeMedium -Name VEEAM016 | Erase-VBRTapeMedium
+                                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (:) [Erase-VBRTapeMedium], Exception
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : EraseTapeMediumErrorId,Veeam.Backup.PowerShell.Cmdlets.EraseVBRTapeMedium

Checked the protection notch: OK
Restarted the VEEAM server. Restarted the tape library., no luck.

I'm at the end of my tricks here... :-(

Has anyone an idea what else i could try?

Thanks.
Armonea
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Armonea Support

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:34 pm

If mentioned trick do not help and you are positive that tape is not protected (WP notch; Library Interface) , then, reach our support team for further assistance.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Previous

Return to Tape