Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
chobbes
Novice
Liked: never

Newbie question: File backup to tape

Post by chobbes »

Dear all,

I have a problem in understanding the scope of a "file backup to tape" jobs. In the manual it is written, that "File to tape job allows you to back up to tape any Microsoft Windows or Linux files, as well as files residing on NAS devices."
In our vSphere environment we have - beside the Veeam server - an additional Backup proxy, a Windows Server acting as repository server, a tape server, some physical Linux machines (with the Veeam agent for Linux installed), and lots of Windows and Linux VMs.
Question: when configuring a "File to Tape job" and reaching the "Files and Folders" step in the wizard, in the drop-down list only Windows machines (more precisely: all Windows system that are listed under "Backup Infrastructure > Managed Servers > Microsoft Windows") are shown - but none of the Linux ones (which show up under "Physical and Cloud Infrastructure > Linux Clients" and which can be backed up to our repository servers successfully).
So, how do I get a "file backup to tape" from a Linux system? Or do I have a wrong understanding?

Thanks in advance
C. Hobbes
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Newbie question: File backup to tape

Post by Dima P. »

Hello and welcome to the community chobbes!

File to tape backup can be performed only from Managed servers i.e. servers added under Backup Infrastructure > Managed servers. Physical and Cloud Infrastructure > Linux Clients shows only machines that can be protected by agent based backups. Cheers!
chobbes
Novice

Post by chobbes »

Hey Dima, thank you for your response!

But I am still a bit confused: what I try to understand is the best way of backing up our physical Linux systems (for some systems a machine backup would be fine, for most of them a backup of certains folders would be enough).
So, as far as I understand, I have two possibilities for backing up physical Linux systems: with a Veeam agent installed (appearing in Phys.&Cloud), or without installing an agent, just by adding them to "Managed servers". What I do not get are the dis-/advantages of both ways, especially in combination with a backup to tape.
1. Veeam agent installed:
- Restore from primary backup (Veeam repository): single-file restore possible (beside Azure); machine restore with Veeam recover media also.
- Restore from tape (gained by Backup-to-tape job): restore is based on backup level (no single file restore directly from tape, instead a two-step restore has to be done (first restore of the backup to a repository, then a file restore out of that restored backup)).
2. No Veeam agent installed:
- Files can be directly backed up to tape (by File-to-tape Job), so no disk space needed (on the one hand; on the other: no additional copy on disk available)
- Restore from tape is a single step mechanism
- No machine restore possible, only file based
- no licence needed

Is this correct so far? Do you see other pros/cons?

Thank you very much in advance
C. Hobbes
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

That sounds right. You are the one to decide but I'd stick with agent backup as Veeam Agent for Linux can take a snapshot of your file system which would guarantee the file consistency. File to tape job does not have this option and will skip all the locked files, or backup files as is while it's being used by any other process.
chobbes
Novice

Post by chobbes »

Ok, great. Thank you very much!
jessie0
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Post by jessie0 »

Hello,

I have a physical VB&R server, that also serves as my tape
server.
I have attempted to backup files from a different server on which my virtual windows and Linux servers run (VMware ESXi platform). But I can not even find the options.

File to tape jobs do not even display the VMs in my ESXi server under the "Files and Folders" stage of the set up,
even though the server has been added to VB&R.
Only the VB&R is seen.

After perusing through comments on old threads that says VB&R does not support direct backup of files to tape, and that one needs to first back up to disk and then move the data to tape, I became inquisitive.

Is this still the case with v9.5 U4b?
Is it supported in the V10 released?

Thank you.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello jessie0,

File to tape jobs allow you to protect files from machines added to Veeam B&R console as managed servers or as file shares (with new v10). Just register such server and you will be able to select files in file to tape jobs. Cheers!
jessie0
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Post by jessie0 »

Hello Dima!

Thanks for the response!
I can now select files from servers and run the backup to tape jobs.

Thank you!