Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
larry
Veteran
Liked: 97 times
Full Name: Larry Walker

No new files to backup per job settings

Post by larry »

First I am on day two of using tapes in Veeam so don’t expect I have a clue :)
I want a full backup of all repositories every day. I assigned the tape drive I want to use to a media set. I check full on each day of week. When the job runs on a repository that is full of backups from other Veeam servers nothing gets backed up. After two seconds I get a message “No new files to backup per job settings”. The tape is blank, I checked the repository it has files. I can’t find anywhere to click to backup. I wanted on the last chain but clearing that box didn’t help.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Also is there any way to verify a tape? Sure backup for tape?
Veeam 9 update 1
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: No new files to backup per job settings

Post by veremin »

I want a full backup of all repositories every day.
Just to confirm - you want to have exact copy of repository archived to tapes on everyday basis? Thanks.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Larry,
Have you created backup-to-tape or file-to-tape job?
Thanks!
larry
Veteran

Post by larry »

I tried the exact copy of repository archived to tapes using backup Job to tapes as I only want the last chain of each. If I use file to tape I get the files even non veeam files or old chains.

If I use backup files I will get the files to tape so I know I have the basics setup.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

So you`ve created backup-to-tape job, chosen Backup repository as a source and chosen to backup only the last full backup chain in Advanced options. Is that correct?
Have you started and cancelled the job before or you just started it once?
My guess is no files are copied because the job is waiting for new backups.
By the way, have you scheduled the job to run full backups daily?
Thanks!
larry
Veteran

Post by larry »

So you`ve created backup-to-tape job, chosen Backup repository as a source and chosen to backup only the last full backup chain in Advanced options. Is that correct?
yes
Have you started and cancelled the job before or you just started it once?
ran it ten times, take a couple of seconds. Job history

Job has never taken more than 3 seconds to run always success. 0.0 transferred. Always note No new files to backup per job setting.

created a second job to backup the files in the backups folder and it is running and transferring info.

The Veeam server with the tape drive has no jobs that backup to the repository but other Veeam servers do.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

larry wrote:ran it ten times, take a couple of seconds. Job history
Did any new backups appear between the job runs? If no, that`s an expected behavior since no new files appeared.

If your goal is to copy on tapes all backups daily, you should use file to tape job filtering files not related to backup.
If you set Backup-to-tape job to create full backups daily with repository as the source it will write full backups for all VMs with new restore points on the source repository.

In case you want to work with backup-tape jobs I would suggest to create a new job and run it.
larry
Veteran

Post by larry »

Using Backup-to-tape job does the Veeam server doing the tape backup job need to be the Veeam server which did the Veeam backup copy to the repository?
larry
Veteran

Post by larry »

just tried adding one job to that repository, its will then get backed up. I tried importing the files from other Veeam servers, they show up as disk (imported) but wont go to tape using backup-to-tape.

This started with me replacing a Veeam server, importing old backups and then switching to Veeam for tape as well. Seems like I will need to use files to tape which requires me to make a new directory/job with only the last chain in it. The way we handled it before was to use reverse incremental and backup all files less than 10 days old, one week went to each tape.

Anyway of moving imported backups to Disk backups? Having Veeam seeing the imported backups as jobs?

When I back up files is Veeam suppose to see all the restore points that were on the disks? The GUI shows just one for each VM.
alanbolte
Veteran
Liked: 174 times
Full Name: Alan Bolte

Post by alanbolte »

You say you used to use reverse incremental? What are you using now? Forward-forever, forward with weekly fulls, something else?
larry
Veteran

Post by larry »

back up copy keep 4 days.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

larry wrote:Using Backup-to-tape job does the Veeam server doing the tape backup job need to be the Veeam server which did the Veeam backup copy to the repository?
Not sure I`ve got the question, but backup to tape job copies backups created by Veeam backup jobs.
larry wrote:Anyway of moving imported backups to Disk backups? Having Veeam seeing the imported backups as jobs?
You can import backups and rescan repository to update the database and let VBR know the backups are there. The first run should copy the backups to tape if choose 'From repository" option.
larry
Veteran

Post by larry »

"You can import backups and rescan repository" I tried this but the files from the imported VMs are not backed up. I created a new job and tried again but no luck.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

That's by design. Backups not associated with existing jobs are skipped from processing.

In order to archive those backups you should either create a files to tape job or add "dummy" job and map it to these backups.

Thanks.
larry
Veteran

Post by larry »

to make a dummy job do I need to have the same VMs and data stores selected or just a blank job mapped to it?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Source settings do not matter. You can specify random VMs as a source for the dummy job. Thanks.