Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
pkelly_sts
Veteran
Liked: 66 times
Full Name: Paul Kelly

Non-Veeam Agent backups to tape ideas?

Post by pkelly_sts »

I'm about to deploy a great new environment with 1st stage SSD backups, 2nd stage Quantum DXi 4800 & 3rd stage Quantum Scalar i3 tape along with a Veeam Tape iBlade. Even better I have this same setup across two site so will be able to replicate backups easily as well as have redundant tape backups in place. I'll also be covering some physical server workloads with Veeam Agents.

However, one challenging area is that we have a few physical servers on legacy O/S not supported by Veeam Agents. (Server 2003 that we just can't get rid of yet) and I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to get these backups to tape without deploying additional infrastructure.

I know I can present a NAS share & use, e.g. Windows Backup to send backups to there, but what are my options with Veeam Tape Server getting involved? Could I do a "files to tape" from the DXi to the tape library or would that just be plain stupid? We don't currently have a Path To Tape license.

Any thoughts appreciated!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Non-Veeam Agent backups to tape ideas?

Post by veremin »

How many files are we talking about? And how frequently do they change? Thanks!